Author Topic: Burrata Cheese Making Recipe & Info?  (Read 3971 times)

LadyLiberty

Burrata Cheese Making Recipe & Info?
« on: January 26, 2009, 01:35:04 AM »
It's supposed to be a soft type mozzarella... I'm told very good.  Anyone ever tried or know about it?

LadyLiberty

Re: Burrata Cheese Making Recipe & Info?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 01:43:05 AM »
Google IS your friend!

I found this description and it includes a step-by-step method to make this:

http://sexandthekitchen.typepad.com/sexy/2006/04/how_to_make_bur.html

we should try this!  I suppose we will need to make our own fresh mozarella curd?

LadyLiberty

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 04:15:22 AM »
Here's a very long extensive article about Burrata:

http://www.thewinenews.com/octnov06/cuisine.asp

Likesspace

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 12:44:13 AM »
L.L.,
This looks like a fun cheese to make and should also be really nice when finished.
Also, you could make the filler cheese a day or two before and turn out one that is entirely your own.
If you give this a try, let us know how it turns out.
Once my life slows down a little I will have to give this one a go (especially if you have good luck with it).
Thanks for the post and the information.

Dave

Tea

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:11:30 PM »
On the Cheese Lovers Board here under the topic "Discussions" CH posted a thread entitled "Cheese Balls".  It is another article on this cheese.

Also another variation that I saw the other day while googling was taking some fresh mozz and pressing it out to around 12x12 inch square about 1/4 thick on a piece of plastic wrap and layering the cheese with, (in this case) slices of a smoked spicy sausage, then rolling up the cheese into a cigar shape, and tightly twisting off the plastic wrap to hold in place and refridgerating until set, then slicing off pieces.  Looked very interesing.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 02:35:24 AM »
L.L.,
This looks like a fun cheese to make and should also be really nice when finished.
Also, you could make the filler cheese a day or two before and turn out one that is entirely your own.
If you give this a try, let us know how it turns out.
Once my life slows down a little I will have to give this one a go (especially if you have good luck with it).
Thanks for the post and the information.

Dave

It looks a little complicated, but it's supposed to be so good, that at one point or the other I have to try it.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 12:40:21 PM »
Tea, good memory, here's the link to the post I made on that US based Atlantic Magazine's Cheese Balls Article.

biondanonima

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 03:41:41 PM »
Hi there, brand new member here! 

Burrata is DELICIOUS - that's actually the reason I found this forum, to see if anyone had ever tried making it or had a recipe!  It's fresh mozzarella filled with a mixture of cream and mozzarella scraps - the inside has a rich, oozy, luxurious texture and flavor. 

I plan to try my hand at regular mozzarella first, and once I have that mastered, go for the gold.  I can buy burrata here (NYC), but it's extremely expensive and obviously perishable.  I'll be sure to let you know how it goes, but in the meantime, will be reading all of your posts about mozzarella.  Thanks in advance for all the great info on this forum!