Author Topic: Stilton Gold - $95 for 100g !!!!  (Read 7244 times)

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Stilton Gold - $95 for 100g !!!!
« on: November 21, 2011, 03:52:40 AM »
Just if you want to send me any gifts this xmas here is what I wish for.

http://www.clawson.co.uk/products/fruit-blends/finestwsvalorange
 :P

Anyone up for spending spree?

OR as Huffington post stated at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/16/gold-stilton_n_1097273.html

If you're worried about being able to get your own slice of Stilton Gold shipped to you safely, but still want to eat metallic stinky cheese this Christmas, your best bet might be a kind of DIY version of the delicacy. Buy a big hunk of nice Stilton cheese from Murray's, for $20 a pound. Then go on Amazon and buy a whole bottle of edible gold leaf, a relative steal at $38.95. When you've assembled all the ingredients, dump the whole bottle of gold leaf on top of your pound of Stilton and serve. Congratulations: you've just saved $370, plus shipping and international tariffs.

ellenspn

Re: Stilton Gold - $95 for 100g !!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 04:02:43 AM »
Oh that's funny.  How much is the cheese w/o the gold leaf?  ^-^

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 04:24:33 AM »
Oh come on Ellen,without the gold leaves you don't get lactobacillius Goldcravenous eat up the milk fat and produce complex enzyme and flavour profile...  ;D

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 01:37:53 PM »
Hey Gurk-I love the new sub species!

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:19:25 AM »
It was just recently discovered by some rich guy...

gstone

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:49:54 PM »
At £60 per 100g, it's no wonder he's rich.

anutcanfly

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 12:02:15 AM »
That's insane! I thought I was anut...  ;)

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »
It's for the groupies of the oneupmanship and moneynoobject crowd. Last year's fashion in the UK was for some chef or other's over-hyped, over-priced Christmas pud. More money than sense, eh?

Avignon

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 08:26:59 AM »
I would eat pretty much any cheese, but if I am being honest there does seem like little point to this! ..... has anyone managed to get hold of any? I would be interested in hearing how it tastes.....:P
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:49:03 PM by Avignon »

dthelmers

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 01:44:43 PM »
Adding gold leaf doesn't change the taste for me, I've tried it in some foods. It's believed by many to be beneficial for arthritis. There are some cinnamon liqueurs that have gold leaf flecks in them - very pretty when shaken up - made to ease arthritic pain.
At one of the sign shops I worked we saved the little flecks of gold leaf for a neighborhood woman who made cordial with it for her husband's arthritis. Not a lot else you can do with the tiny scraps. although I think this cheese is gimmicky and made to appeal to those with more money than sense, I've got to admit that it is quite pretty, and might make a novel gift cheese.

Avignon

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 03:28:53 PM »
@dthelmers surely it must change the taste a wee bit? I am all for trying it, don´t get me wrong - well, when I get better at cheesemaking that is - where can you locate such flakes? I´ve seen these in vodka now that I think about it.

Anyways, I just find it.....quite sad I guess. If it doesn´t alter the taste then it just becomes useless and flash, and that is not something I generally try to go for! I´d rather buy or make better cheese with that money.

maybe that´s just me....

dthelmers

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 03:53:32 PM »
@dthelmers surely it must change the taste a wee bit? I am all for trying it, don´t get me wrong - well, when I get better at cheesemaking that is - where can you locate such flakes? I´ve seen these in vodka now that I think about it.

Anyways, I just find it.....quite sad I guess. If it doesn´t alter the taste then it just becomes useless and flash, and that is not something I generally try to go for! I´d rather buy or make better cheese with that money.

maybe that´s just me....

Here's where you can get it: http://www.amazon.com/Edible-Gold-Germany-25-3-3-square/dp/B000YHG7WE
This is food grade, but I doubt there is any difference between this and what we use in sign shops, but the price is the same, anyway. When they describe this as "paper thin", that's not quite getting the picture across. It's so thin that you can blow on a sheet and it will sail around in the air. It's too thin to pick up, so we use a brush called a gilders tip to pick up the square, then lay it down on a sheet of suede and cut it into shape with a wooden knife, then lift the cut pieces with the gilder's tip. Or for large areas, carefully roll it out of the book. A little bit goes a long way when decorating, and it sticks to everything. Even a roast chicken drumstick; wish I'd taken a photo! This is certainly a novelty item, sold simply for conspicuous consumption, but that tradition goes back through the middle ages to ancient Rome. It might be cute to do something like this for a special celebration, like a 50th wedding anniversary. Or maybe make a brick cheese and gild it.
As for taste, I can't taste gold. I suspect that is true for most people, hence its popularity in dental work.
If you're near a sign shop that carves signs, or a framing shop that does gilded frames, you may be able to buy their little scraps.

Avignon

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 04:49:33 PM »

maybe that´s just me....

Here's where you can get it: http://www.amazon.com/Edible-Gold-Germany-25-3-3-square/dp/B000YHG7WE
This is food grade, but I doubt there is any difference between this and what we use in sign shops, but the price is the same, anyway. When they describe this as "paper thin", that's not quite getting the picture across. It's so thin that you can blow on a sheet and it will sail around in the air. It's too thin to pick up, so we use a brush called a gilders tip to pick up the square, then lay it down on a sheet of suede and cut it into shape with a wooden knife, then lift the cut pieces with the gilder's tip. Or for large areas, carefully roll it out of the book. A little bit goes a long way when decorating, and it sticks to everything. Even a roast chicken drumstick; wish I'd taken a photo! This is certainly a novelty item, sold simply for conspicuous consumption, but that tradition goes back through the middle ages to ancient Rome. It might be cute to do something like this for a special celebration, like a 50th wedding anniversary. Or maybe make a brick cheese and gild it.
As for taste, I can't taste gold. I suspect that is true for most people, hence its popularity in dental work.
If you're near a sign shop that carves signs, or a framing shop that does gilded frames, you may be able to buy their little scraps.

Great thanks a lot - well actually, it is weird that you mention special occasions, because it is my fathers 60th birthday this month and the whole family are going to a log cabin in Switzerland - in a month or so. I´m sure me and my brothers will do a number of special things, but I guess I could knock this up as a novelty item!

Thanks for your help @dthelmers...I will look into it.

dthelmers

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »
If you do, please post photos!

green zebra

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 01:57:44 AM »
Does anyone know of a recipe for Crotonese?