Author Topic: Stinky cheese problem  (Read 1221 times)

waterdalemama

Stinky cheese problem
« on: November 22, 2011, 06:21:19 PM »
My cheddar cheese curds and pressed cheese have been coming out very smelly lately and the one 8 gal. batch of cheese actually ended up rising while it was being pressed instead of getting shorter and when I cut it open it looked like a sponge......I threw it out to the pigs.

I haven't changed anything in the way I do things, the buttermilk I use, or the way we handle our raw milk from our cow.

Would keeping my artisan bread dough in the same fridge as all the fresh milk contaminate things and cause this problem?

I need to figure this out! My cheese used to turn out so much nicer :(

linuxboy

Re: Stinky cheese problem
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »
Sounds like yeast contamination due to dough.

waterdalemama

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 06:52:36 PM »
Ok, thanks! Maybe I need 3 fridges :o

waterdalemama

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 07:23:15 PM »
So, how do I keep yeast contamination from happening? I make cheese and milk products several times a week since our cow gives 3 gal. per day. And I make almost all our bread.....baking several times a week as well. Doesn't the yeast kind of hang out in the air? How do I keep it from getting in my milk and cheese?

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:15:04 AM »
Hi water, welcome, also if it smelt yeasty then it was as linuxboy said probably yeast infection, see our Wiki: Body Defects, Mechanical Holes article.

Solution is better sanitation (yes there will still be lots in the air - wild), store apart, and do not make cheese and bread on same day, think back to how it was different. Also, you could search the forum for "Swell" or "Swollen" where you could see if others had good solutions.

Good luck!