Author Topic: grape must for wrapping or washing cheese - ideas?  (Read 3254 times)

LittleSeed

grape must for wrapping or washing cheese - ideas?
« on: November 23, 2011, 04:04:18 PM »
Hi everyone and Happy (almost) Thanksgiving!

I have a baggie of grape must from the cake left over after pressing for red wine (we have some fun friends that invited us to make some with them this year). I saved it thinking that it would be fun to try wrapping a cheese in them but I'm not quite sure how to approach the experiment!

I thought that maybe I could pack a cheese with the must and bandage it with cheesecloth, but I'm not sure if that would work. I also thought of blending the must and painting the liquid on the rind before waxing.

Ideas?

Thanks for your help :)
- Eileen

Tomer1

Re: grape must for wrapping or washing cheese - ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 07:10:47 PM »
You need to make some tomme style cheese, I like the washed curd version.
After brining you pack it into a box or basket with the pomace and press the pomace against it and just let it sit there for 3-6 months to grow some candidum and different molds.

LittleSeed

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 07:52:06 PM »
Thanks Tomer!
I've been wanting to make a tomme, so that's perfect. Should I turn it at all, or just let it sit? Would a ricotta basket do?

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 05:48:43 AM »
I think so as long as its getting good support and not having to "hold its own wight" under the conical mould.
You can hydrate the first layer of pomace,the one in contact with the cheese with some dry red wine or with distilled spirit. (brandy or grappa)

Be sure to maintain proper humidity to encourage mold growth.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:12:01 PM »
How did this cheese turn out?  Anyone know?  I might be able to get some winemaking leftovers from a neighbor and would be happy to try something like this with them.  Any one else doing this?

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 08:42:58 PM »
The traditional au marc tomme is made by packing the tomme in marc and letting it co-ferment. The yeast helps to ripen the cheese and also ferments the skins.

You can also do a variant where you slather a thin layer with a spatula and use the skins as a coating, growing molds on top of it.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »
How long is it packed in the marc? What sort of rind treatment after removing from the marc?