Author Topic: Ash - Before Or After Spraying On Penicillium candidum?  (Read 3716 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Ash - Before Or After Spraying On Penicillium candidum?
« on: November 24, 2011, 10:08:08 AM »
I had some left over chevre logs, and was thinking of spraying some PC on them, but wanted to experiment with ash coating.  Which goes on first?
Thanks

Cheese Head

Re: Ash - Before Or After Spraying On Penicillium candidum?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 12:23:46 PM »
george13, I've bought some ash but haven't used it yet, that said my understanding is the P candidum goes on first then the ash, which is sometimes mixed with dry salt, see this thread, hope helps.

dttorun

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 03:50:21 PM »
When I make chevre, after removing from the moulds, or if it is not dripping anymore, which is around 48 hrs, I salt the surface and sprinkle ash (by using salter). The cheese rests another 24 hrs to dry further, then I spray PC lightly. When I do otherwise I found that ash peels off. I wait for a couple of days until white mold develops, then wrap it in paper.
Here are some pictures, this my version of frosty treat :-)
Tan

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 10:56:54 PM »
Those are beautiful, do you only spray the surface or do you also add PC to the mix.  And depending on your procedure, when do you wrap them up?  I thought they remained unwrapped for about 15 days in high humidity.
Thanks

dttorun

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 11:31:35 PM »
I don't add PC add the beginning, spray only. When I see white mold covers the surface, like in the pictures I wrap them up and leave in the fridge. Otherwise they ripen fast in my experience.
Tan

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 12:19:44 AM »
I see, and once you wrap them, what is your aging in the wrapper time period, and what temperature do you store the wrapped cheese in.  So far I too just sprayed the surface, and will try out your method once I get some mold.  Thank you

dttorun

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 01:06:59 AM »
After wrapping, I store in the fridge and consume in 1-2 weeks. I use 1 gal milk and get 5 small logs like those in the pictures.
Tan