Author Topic: Mother Starter - Recommendations  (Read 2221 times)

milkybar kid

Mother Starter - Recommendations
« on: November 24, 2011, 09:25:27 PM »
Hi all, this is my first attempt to make cheese, but not quite ready for that it seems, my problem is i bought a meso that can be done by heating the milk to 90c, quickly cooling to 20c, adding the powder to a cup of the milk, adding it to the rest of the milk, stir, then put in a thermos which seconds earlier was cleaned and heated with boiling water.
Leave for 24 hours then freeze .

My milk did not thicken up, like i thought it should but stayed watery, i have contacted the seller who says as long as it taste sour, it will be fine, i have frozen it on his say so, but can't fetch myself to use it only to be seriously dissapointed with bad results

What do you think?..

Edit; Just checked the forums temp page, think i was miles out on the temp, should of been in F and not C?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:57:29 PM by milkybar kid »

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Re: Mother Starter - Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 10:58:12 PM »
A pH meter would have been handy.

Use it by all means, and wait longer for ripening.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 05:32:16 AM »
It sounds like your trying to make a mother starter.
As a beginer perhaps just stick to using the DVI starter powder stright into your milk on which your making the batch of cheese. when you become more expirienced you can begin to make mother starters to save money on starters.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 06:55:24 AM »
Are you following a recipe? What type of cheese?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

milkybar kid

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »
Yes,  it was my first attempt at making a mother starter and thought if i can't do something as simple as that, then forget the cheese making bit. I do have a P.H. meter from a previous hobby, but not yet sure of the rules on using it for cheese making, more homework.
I'm not following any special recipe for cheese at the moment just following instruction of the seller to get this mother up and running.
Thanks for your replies, at least i'm still on the right track and can use this, thanks for your advice.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 12:26:08 PM »
milkybar kid, I started out like many using store bought live cultured buttermilk as my mesophilic starter culture and yogurt as my thermophilic starter culture before buying some manufactured freeze dried Direct Vat Innoculation powdered starter cultures.

Some of our members still say buttermilk and yogurt are better, all depends on what you are trying to do. Have fun!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 05:13:27 PM »
milkybar kid, you might find greater satisfaction of achievement if you select some easy "starter" cheese recipe and, following John's advice to use either buttermilk or good unflavored yogurt (whichever the recipe calls for).

I've recently made my 38th cheese and I have never tried to do a mother culture. Somewhere down the road I may, but now right now.

Give yourself a fighting chance. Make some cheese!  ;D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 07:32:06 PM »
You shud keep temp 22c  for that 24h.
If you are using that http://www.gnltd.co.uk/849796/cheese-starter-culture/ ,yes you need maybe to do that.
http://www.gnltd.co.uk/849796/cheese-starter-culture/ .
Keep on going on  ;D

Hande