Author Topic: Big Boys Caerphilly  (Read 6352 times)

boothrf

Re: Big Boys Caerphilly
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 04:29:19 AM »
I get my supplies from Cheeselinks here in Victoria. They have an online shop. All my materials have so far been fine, moulds, starters, lipase etc.

It really sounds like a problem with the culture to me, as everything else looked fine. Maybe try with just the PC next time, in case the Geo is negatively affecting the surface too much and preventing the PC from flourishing?

Good luck!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 04:49:21 AM »
Retuned from St Louis to find my cave still functioning and the cheese still happy.  Happy that is until I turned the Caerphilly over, and where it was resting on the cheese mat was all Blue with mould.  A little judicious scrapping and manicure I knocked it all off and returnd it to the Cave.  Wednesday morning getting lunches pack had an overwhelming urge for cheese and I thought the Caerphilly had been patient enough 3 and half weeks yep - it was time.  I wasn't disappointed . . . . the rind had protected the inside against the blue onslaught and inside was white, slightly crumbly, slightly tangy and with a nice overall flavour with no bitterness.   This is definitely the 'House' cheese from now on. 

-- Mal 
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 07:15:24 AM »
Nice!  Once the rind has formed, blue ends up being pretty much a surface problem.  I've got a caerphilly that will be ready on Christmas Day.  I'm looking forward to it.

- Jeff

dthelmers

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »
I was using a salt and vinegar solution to wash the cheese when I found blue mold, but it seemed to open up the surface of the rind and make it more prone to mold. Now I have been brushing it off vigorously with a soft nail brush and oiling lightly with olive oil, and that's working better for me.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 09:36:52 PM »
Ah Christmas....  A cheese day extraordary ...  months of preparation could come down to 1 days worth of eating.   There are no store bought hard cheeses today in this house just a 4 month saffron infused Manchego, a 3 month stirred curd cheddar and the Caerphilly mentioned here.  The only concession is a camembert- King Island Blue ribbon as I still turn out round wheel chocks when it comes to Camemberts.  Merry Christmas to all.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
I was using a salt and vinegar solution to wash the cheese when I found blue mold, but it seemed to open up the surface of the rind and make it more prone to mold. Now I have been brushing it off vigorously with a soft nail brush and oiling lightly with olive oil, and that's working better for me.

Dave,  does a light oiling still allow some mold to develop?  I'm confused still about that decision to have a mold inhabited rind or keep it as clean as possible.  Any hints from your experience?

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 01:14:11 AM »
I use Apple Cider vingear to control the mould.  A Caerphilly tends to have a roughish rind so I check daily for mould and control it quickly.  Too much and the taste can migrate through the chesse owing to it's slightly open texture.

-- Mal