Author Topic: Port Salut without B Linens  (Read 1199 times)

JKearley

Port Salut without B Linens
« on: November 26, 2011, 03:09:07 PM »
Hi

I had planned to make my first Port Salut tomorrow but unfortunately my B Linens has not arrived and I will not be able to add it directly to the milk as the recipie calls for.  Could I still make it without it but washing with B Linens after (as recipie also states)?

Tomer1

Re: Port Salut without B Linens
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 03:27:15 PM »
Yes, combine it with a weak brine to build a washing program.

silverjam

Re: Port Salut without B Linens
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:30:31 PM »
I made Port Salut that way. No B Linen in the main recipe, but washed it with an atomiser spray of 3% brine with b linen (very small amount of linen). You can get little atomiser bottles on ebay for nothing. They're simply small spray bottles that are fine spray and economical as opposed to the standard Pint/500ml spray bottle. I also use surgical gauze swabs (see ebay again) to wash it because they are not contaminated and very convenient for regular washed rind cheeses. I washed (when I say wash, I mean minimal spray and wiping/smearing the moisture spray - sorry you probably know this...) it with the b linen spray for 2 weeks every second day, then I switched to a normal 3% brine for a few weeks washing about twice to once a week to keep any alien mould down. I found it took almost 6 weeks for the linen to appear (might be my strain of linen or my environment) but once it did it took off.  When the b linen settled in, I only got an occasional natural Geo Candi 'dust' coming through but I like that anyway (rustic/artisan look). My comment on Port Salut (based on my experiences) is to be careful not to get the rind too moist (careful balance) as mine was too moist and split (two splits) under its own weight on the sides as the cheese ripened/matured. I am currently trying to make Tasmanian Red Square (Tallegio type cheese) using the same b linen atomiser spray method.