Author Topic: Gouda Time  (Read 1769 times)

JeffHamm

Gouda Time
« on: November 26, 2011, 10:10:29 PM »
Hi,

Last year (Dec 30th actually) I made my first pressed cheese, which was a gouda.  At that time my wife and I had just found out we were expecting our 2nd child.  I decided I would keep this cheese until he was born, and he is now 3.5 months.  My parents have come from Canada to visit and see their newest Grandchild, so I saved the opening until they arrived.  Today, we're having a big family get together with my wife's family and my parents.  I've been cooking up a storm (have marinaded steaks, done up a roast leg of lamb, and made Chinese Roast Pork with crackling).  Later I'll do up some shrimp and scollaps in garlic butter, and of course, I'm supplying the cheese! 

I've put together a collection of cheeses, including the Chaource (which is probably what my experimental semi-lactic PC cheese is), Dunlop (I had been saving some, so this is from a June 11th make), Lancashire, Montasio, Butterkasse, and the "baby Gouda"! 

I was very worried about this one because it was the first pressed cheese I had made.  And, I used quite a bit more rennet than I know do (1 ml, rather than the usual 0.6 ml; that means over 50% more than usual), so I was concerned it might be bitter.  Also, I have read that vegetarian rennets like this often don't "age" well (ok, 11 months isn't really that old for a cheese, but one worries).  It developed a bit of mould under the wax on one or two occasions, but I was able to remove that through key hole surgery and it's been behaving itself for awhile now.  Fortunately, none of the horror stories have come to pass and this is a really tasty cheese.  It is developing the flavour of an aged gouda, it has that sharpness to it.  There's  a sweetness as well.  Basically, I think it was worth the wait.  Very pleased.  Will have to make another gouda for long aging.

- Jeff

Gouda  Dec 30th, 2010
Indoor Temp ??0C, overcast, Barometer: ??
10 litres full cream line milk (silver top)
---------------------------------------------------------
Used double boiler set up (2 large stainless steel stock pots : 13 litre inside 17 litre)
Pasteurisation: 700C for 15 sec.  (took from  7:35am until 9:17, even with water from the kettle to start).
      Cooled to 32.20C in sick with ice packs by 10:15
---------------------------------------------------------
10:15 am   : added 1 ice cube Flora Danica mesophilic starter (pre-melted)
      : added ¼ tsp Calcium Chloride (50% solution)
      : stirred top to bottom 1 minute
Let stand 15 min.
10:30      : Temp is 34.40C (going up) – moved to sink with cool water
      : added 1 ml Rennet (in water)
10:33      : temp now 33.60C
11:50      : clean break obtained
      : cut curds into 1 cm cubes
11:57      : let stand for 10 minutes – temp 31.40C – Whey is great colour and clear
12:07      : drained ~ 2 litres of Whey
12:26      : added 800C water until temp ~33.30C (though some hot spots up to 35 or 36)
      : let rest
12:36      : drained to level of curds
      : added 550C water to reach temp of 370C
      : gently stirred to keep curds separate
12:45      : finished adding water, now resting for 30 minutes
 1:15      : drained the rest of the whey
      : transferred curds to the large steamer pot lined with 4 squares of cheese cloth
 1:24      : started 7.5kg press
 1:45      : re-dressed the cheese, flipped it, and started 17.5 kg press
 2:20      : flipped it (didn’t redress this time) started 20 kg press

Dec 31st, 2010
7:00 am   : put cheese in saturated brine solution (2 lbs salt, 4 litres water)
11:00 am   : flipped cheese
 5:00 pm    : flipped cheese
7:00 pm   : removed cheese from brine
      : patted dry with paper towel
: placed in chilly bin with 2x2 litre jugs of ice (wiped it down with water and bleach earlier to remove any mould contamination from the camembert)
      : temperature reading 80C
Measured cheese: approx 1.5kg, 22 cm diameter, 4 cm height, 1520 cm3 volume
Air drying daily, flipping cheese during morning and evening ice changes (6:30ish am and pm).  Drying chilly bin, and wiping cheese with paper towel.  Will report on mould growth (if any) if it happens.
Wax date should be around Jan 21st; Waxed it 1 week earlier, on Jan 16th (rind was quite dry, and didn’t want the cheese to dry out too much).  Plan to age for 9 months or so. Feb 11th, forgot ice in day - 200C
Had to change wax due to some mold underneath (May 14, 2011; weight now 1068g)
Nov 27th, 2011: Opened it for the family get together for Gregor.  Tastes really good!  Was worried it might be bitter, but it is sweet, and is developing that aged gouda “bite”.  Very pleased!

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
Re: Gouda Time
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »
It looks great Jeff, I have to give you credit for waiting that long before getting into it.

Ian

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:04:57 AM »
I've put together a collection of cheeses, including the Chaource (which is probably what my experimental semi-lactic PC cheese is), Dunlop (I had been saving some, so this is from a June 11th make), Lancashire, Montasio, Butterkasse, and the "baby Gouda"! 
Wow, what a wonderful treat for the whole family!

Congrats for all your hard work and creative zeal, Jeff.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 07:20:29 AM »
Thanks Ian and Boofer!  It was a huge feed today.  Here's a picture of the collection of the cheeses. The small bit in the middle is a piece of store bought Manchengo, so ignore that.  Then starting with the "pizza slice" on the left, and working clockwise, it's Dunlop, Butterkasse, Montasio, Lancashire, and ending with the large piece of 11 month old Gouda.  The other one is my experimental semi-lactic cam, which I told everyone is Chaource as it's pretty much made the same way.  That will certainly be made again. 

- Jeff

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 03:57:53 PM »
Looking good, Jeff.  We had a cheese tasting here, too, but not so many on the tray as you did.  A five month old Gouda, four month Lancashire, two month Colby, and six month old feta.  I cubed the feta and soaked it in milk for about three hours as it was burn-your-throat salty and it came out just fine.  Stuck it on toothpicks with black olives, which looked rather festive.  The Colby was the hands-down favorite, but the guests aren't fans of stronger cheese, either.  As the guests arrived while I was setting up the cheese and veggie tray, I didn't have a chance to take a photo.

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 06:28:12 PM »
Thanks Karen,

Cheese tastings are fun, especially when they are the opening of an all afternoon feasting.  If you have a lot of friends who like milder cheeses, I do recommend the Butterkase.  It's also a washed curd cheese, and very mild and clean tasting.  Mine have all caught wild b.linens, and this last one (shown in the photo) I encouraged to develope.  I've got a new one ageing and I've added them to it deliberately this time (if you can beat them, join them).  But I would suggest leaving them out as they are an experimental addition right now.

Anyway, we're taking my parents off on a bit of a holiday where we'll do some trout fishing.  Cheese is comming with us, as are left overs from yesterday.  We're staying in a cabin on a dairy farm.  Hmmmm, wonder if I can sneak out and milk a cow? ha! Life is good.

- Jeff

elkato

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 11:27:15 PM »
Congratulations on the birth of your second son and the opening of your first pressed cheese!!
My wife and I are expecting our first child (girl) for January, and today I opened my first pressed cheese,(first cheese of any type made by me) a sheep milk manchego that I aged for a staggering  60 days, I also used way to much rennet, the floc. time was instantly! nevertheless the cheese is quite good, very buttery, dry but flexible, it is great to share this  learning experiences in this excellent forum!

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 01:41:18 PM »
Congrats on all the babies!  I'm long past those years - now a grandma, but they are in Germany, so I won't get to see them for at least another year when I'm hoping to make the trip over.

Jeff - if you get the opportunity to milk a cow, go for it!  I've been milking by machine for a month now and am very grateful for the relief it is giving my hands, but I'm very glad that I started out hand milking.  Have a great time on your trip!

DNM

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 04:46:33 PM »
Wow!  I've been reading some of your older posts these last few weeks and using some of them in developing our goudas.  It's great to see your cheeses have turned out so well.  I can almost taste them...  Great job and thanks!   :)