Author Topic: Ahlan wa Sahlan, from Jordan  (Read 5344 times)

Sambo

Ahlan wa Sahlan, from Jordan
« on: November 28, 2011, 04:28:28 AM »
Hi all,

My name is Sam and I'm currently living in Amman, Jordan. My family and I came here a few years ago from Australia for a visit, and decided to stay on for a while, mainly for study.

My reason for joining this forum is to learn more about cheese making. Since moving to Jordan we now have access to raw milk (EDIT: the shop I buy it from is closing down :( ) and I am looking at different ways to utilise it besides lattes and cereal. I've already attempted yoghurt making, with some success. The only "problem", if you can call it that, is that fresh yoghurts and cheeses of excellent quality are readily available here daily, which discourages you a bit from making your own. Even the supermarket products are fresh and good quality with minimal additives.

Nevertheless, there's a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself, I found. I'm in the process of making a small incubator to help with the yoghurt during the winter months and perhaps going to use it to try a few other things (i.e. tempeh).

I found this forum while searching on ways to make milk ricotta, as my first attempt came out a bit rubbery, and found some good information here which will hopefully help me with my next attempt.

That's about it, feel free to ask any questions you have.

regards
sam.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:45:01 AM by Sambo »

Tomer1

Re: Ahlan wa Sahlan, from Jordan
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:32:06 AM »
If you have access to great yogurt priced fairly maybe you should focus on aged europien style cheeses which might be a bit more tricky to get or perhaps are imported (hense expenssive).

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 11:55:17 AM »
Ahlan Bik

Ana is mi John, my family and I lived in Damascus from 2001-2004, where I used to work, we travelled to Jordan three time, did Wadi Rum & Seven Pillars, Petra, Dead Sea, King's Highway, several ruins like Karnack, port city of Aqaba and capital Amman. Both are wonderful countries and people, very very sad what is happening in Syria now.

I remember the beautiful fresh cheeses, yogurt and labneh that we could get there cheaply, and all the fresh and seasonal fruit & veg, probably never eat as healthy in my life.

Where are you living and what are you studying (which I assume is way different from making cheese :)).

Ma As Salameh

PS: You are our first I believe in Jordan, so with my admin rights I just added you to our list and added a Country specific Board in case you or anyone wants to post anything Jordan specific there.

Sambo

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 02:34:06 PM »
If you have access to great yogurt priced fairly maybe you should focus on aged europien style cheeses which might be a bit more tricky to get or perhaps are imported (hense expenssive).

Hi Tomer, I guess its a case of learning to walk before I run, to be honest its not something I thought about in the past much but I can see a certain appeal in it now. My wife is from South East Asia hence the desire to have a go at making some Tempeh, which is impossible to find here, at any price.

Ahlan Bik

Ana is mi John, my family and I lived in Damascus from 2001-2004, where I used to work, we travelled to Jordan three time, did Wadi Rum & Seven Pillars, Petra, Dead Sea, King's Highway, several ruins like Karnack, port city of Aqaba and capital Amman. Both are wonderful countries and people, very very sad what is happening in Syria now.

I remember the beautiful fresh cheeses, yogurt and labneh that we could get there cheaply, and all the fresh and seasonal fruit & veg, probably never eat as healthy in my life.

Where are you living and what are you studying (which I assume is way different from making cheese :)).

Ma As Salameh

PS: You are our first I believe in Jordan, so with my admin rights I just added you to our list and added a Country specific Board in case you or anyone wants to post anything Jordan specific there.

Marhaban John, I'm studying Arabic and doing some other religious studies, plus we found it an excellent environment for the kids to grow up in. You're right, the people here are great, and it is sad about Syria, so far Jordan has been spared the same type of problems, for the most part, and we're hoping it stays that way.

The people who live in my neighbourhood are very health conscious and we have a good supply of good nourishing food, to be honest we have hardly eaten out at a restaurant at all in the past few years, let alone a fast food place. The person we buy our milk and veges from is a friend who has a farm in Jerash and is trusted. Otherwise we try to stick to other fruits and veges from the region. Right now its the olive harvesting time, so we just picked up our "tanaka" of fresh virgin olive oil for this season.

Our place is just on the north-western edge of Amman, if we walk up the hill we get to the top of a ridge with a wadi below, in fact here's a pic that I took this morning while going on a walk with my wife:

I'll keep an eye on the new Jordan specific board to help out where I can, I'll also post up details of my incubator and cheese adventures as I go along.

wa salaam
sam

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »
Welcome to the CheeseForum, Sam!  Beautiful picture - you are fortunate to live in such beautiful country and I thank you for sharing with us.

Best wishes on your cheesemaking adventures.  You've come to the right place for fellowship and advice, when needed.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:05:26 PM »
Sam, welcome to the forum!

Consider yourself lucky for having access to raw milk. We look forward to seeing what you make with it. Thanks for the pic. Love to see more of your area and your cheese making efforts.

If you have a question, don't hesitate to ask it. You can also use the search function. Answers are available...a lot are useful.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 11:16:11 PM »
Ahalan ya habibi!! Welcome to the forum!

As Tomer, I was born and raised next door in Israel but unlike him I have been in the US for many years. Do you ever cross to Israel? There is actually a very interesting cheese project done in the Palestinian territories right now to help these poor people get to sustainable economy with their wonderful livestock and great grazing area.

Another member of this forum, Alex live in Haifa (as you may know a city with very mixed peaceful arab and jewish population). He made friends with local Druze villagers and their goats who graze on Mount Carmel are supposedly giving him some incredible raw goats milk. That's merely 130km from where you are now.  Do you have Druze in your area?

Keep up posted on your cheese adventures!  Would love to see more photos

Yoav

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 03:24:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum Sambo.

Can you get water buffalo milk or yogurt there?

Sambo

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 04:11:58 AM »
Thanks for all the warm welcomes, its appreciated.

Consider yourself lucky for having access to raw milk. We look forward to seeing what you make with it. Thanks for the pic. Love to see more of your area and your cheese making efforts.

Yes it is a blessing, I once bought some in Australia but had to go through hoops to get it, and it was of limited supply. Here it reminds me of how milk used to be when I was small.

I have a flickr account where I put up pics when I have the chance, Here
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:41:11 AM by Sambo »

Sambo

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 04:18:24 AM »
Ahalan ya habibi!! Welcome to the forum!

As Tomer, I was born and raised next door in Israel but unlike him I have been in the US for many years. Do you ever cross to Israel? There is actually a very interesting cheese project done in the Palestinian territories right now to help these poor people get to sustainable economy with their wonderful livestock and great grazing area.

Another member of this forum, Alex live in Haifa (as you may know a city with very mixed peaceful arab and jewish population). He made friends with local Druze villagers and their goats who graze on Mount Carmel are supposedly giving him some incredible raw goats milk. That's merely 130km from where you are now.  Do you have Druze in your area?

Keep up posted on your cheese adventures!  Would love to see more photos

Yoav
I haven't been into Israel or Palestine but I hope to go there one day. The project you mention sounds very interesting.

I've never met any druze here where I live, although I don't get outside my own area much. I remember seeing some goats in the hills near Karak down south that had awesomely huge udders, next time I go I want to try and buy some of the milk from the owner.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:50:01 AM by Sambo »

Sambo

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 04:29:30 AM »
Can you get water buffalo milk or yogurt there?
No unfortunately, I heard its common in Egypt but I've never seen it here. We can get camels milk locally but not sure if its any good for cheese, it has a very strong after-taste when drinking it. Surprisingly, sheep's milk is also hard to come by and I heard its because the large dairy producers buy it all up in advance. You can get sheep's yoghurt in the supermarket, its thicker and creamier than cows milk yogurt, and my milk supplier also sells it sometimes - his has a very strong flavour and comes with a thick cheesy layer on top.

iratherfly

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 05:13:17 AM »
These are some great photos. Some seem to be taken right on the Israeli border. I assume since you are in friendly Jordan, you can make a day trip; it's so close to you. By the way, you can get buffalo milk in the Galilee.

By the way, your Gaggia... what type of wand do you use for latte art? I have a Gaggia lever heat exchange machine with their panarello wand and it froths the milk too much too quickly. I don't want all this air injection... I know how to froth without the idiot proof system;  do you have a single, double or triple hole steam wand? Where did you get it?

Sambo

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 05:54:34 AM »
These are some great photos. Some seem to be taken right on the Israeli border. I assume since you are in friendly Jordan, you can make a day trip; it's so close to you. By the way, you can get buffalo milk in the Galilee.
So close, yet so far... my family are all Malaysian passport holders and since Malaysia has no diplomatic relations with Israel their passports are clearly stamped "Valid in all countries except... Israel". Plus we travel into Syria sometimes (or at least used to before the current problems) and I don't want to complicate matters by having an Israeli stamp in my passport (I know its possible to enter without a stamp, but I don't want to risk it as I've heard sometimes you get a stamp even if you ask them not to). Things are changing fast in the region, so who knows what will happen in the near future.

By the way, your Gaggia... what type of wand do you use for latte art? I have a Gaggia lever heat exchange machine with their panarello wand and it froths the milk too much too quickly. I don't want all this air injection... I know how to froth without the idiot proof system;  do you have a single, double or triple hole steam wand? Where did you get it?
It's a Cubika, I have a single hole wand on it, retrofitted from a Rancilio Sylvia.... I bought the wand in Sydney from a shop in Bondi Junction (sorry can't remember the name). You can remove the plastic extension bits on the standard wand and it works better however it becomes quite short and hard to use. I'm thinking of getting a La Pavoni Europicola from the UK sent over, they are relatively cheap there compared to Australia (around AU$600 compared to over $1100 in Sydney). I want something simple and free of too much electronics in case I need to service or repair it. At the moment I'm using a Presso here in Jordan, it works quite well, but obviously has no milk steaming capability!

Tomer1

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 01:34:03 PM »
As far as I know there isnt a druz community in jordan only beduin.
The druz are concentrated in northen israel and syria and some in lebanon.

Malaysia has no diplomatic relations with Israel
Unfortunatlly many muslim countries dont.

I know its possible to enter without a stamp, but I don't want to risk it as I've heard sometimes you get a stamp even if you ask them not to
I wouldnt worry about it, if any one asks just say you went to see the "holy city" of jerusalem,
Any religious muslim will be excited to hear about it since many arent able to make pilgram.
It might be possible to enter thru the jordaian-palastinien side but Im not sure.

The way religion is taking its hold in today's world is concerning.  There is an increasing trend of fundamentalism in all religions, even in judeism im afrid.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 01:41:54 PM by Tomer1 »

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »

Iratherfly, head to http://www.coffeeparts.com.au, I am sure they will ship to overseas.