Author Topic: Ahlan wa Sahlan, from Jordan  (Read 5345 times)

iratherfly

Re: Ahlan wa Sahlan, from Jordan
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 10:25:40 PM »
Thanks Gürkan. I can get parts here in the US, I just haven't seen such part on a Gaggia before.

Sambo - thanks! That makes perfect sense. My previous machine was a Rancillio Sylvia v3. I hated it... (too picky about grinds and very poor temperature control that requires you to tem-surf or install a PID on it. Too much for that price point).  It did however had great steam wand. How did you attach it to the Gaggia?  They do sell a "latte art" Panerello wand but it is black plastic and my machine is all chrome and brushed stainless and it will look horrible... taking off the current wand and use the steam arm would have worked if only the arm was longer.

So close, yet so far... my family are all Malaysian passport holders and since Malaysia has no diplomatic relations with Israel their passports are clearly stamped "Valid in all countries except... Israel". Plus we travel into Syria sometimes (or at least used to before the current problems) and I don't want to complicate matters by having an Israeli stamp in my passport (I know its possible to enter without a stamp, but I don't want to risk it as I've heard sometimes you get a stamp even if you ask them not to). Things are changing fast in the region, so who knows what will happen in the near future.
That's so sad.  I thought you said you are Australian. That would make it easy.  Well, the next time I am around I can come and meet you in Jordan. My parents house is really close to Tomer and Alex... Israel does have peace with Jordan of course.
FYI - It is VERY common to visit Israel by way of Syria, Lebanon, UAE etc. Israel will let you in -no problem.  There are a many religious people who make the journey and Arabs who have family in Israel and Palestine, not to mention International business travelers who are citizens of a western country who need to travel to Arab business hubs as well as Israel.  Israel obviously had to accept that it would have visitors who are frequent to other Arab countries when it made peace with Jordan and Egypt. No one in Israel expect people who live in Europe or the US not to visit Dubai, Mecca or Teheran as a condition to enter Israel. The problem is only the other way around.

About the stamp: Israel realize you may have problem traveling to these very few countries with which it has no ties. They have an official policy of NOT to stamp your passport (just ask when you hand it over in passport control). Usually if they see Syria and Malaysia stamps they will probably suggest it to you as a courtesy anyway. Instead of stamping it, they will just give you a note that you present back to them when you leave the country (then throw it in the trash). I have never heard of them refusing it but I have heard of people handing them American passports and not asking for a no-stamp receipt so they stamp it.  Believe me, Israel loves its tourists and need them to return as often as possible. It's a major driving force in the nation's economy.

What are the most popular cheeses in Jordan and Syria (except Labaneh of course)?

Tomer1

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 05:16:49 AM »
I bet its some kind of fresh goat's milk baker's cheese to use in knafe.

iratherfly

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 07:13:30 AM »
oh my... Tomer, it's 2am here. You are giving me craving for a Knaffe. Where do I get Knaffe in NYC now? Oooohhhh!

iratherfly

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 07:14:12 AM »
Got it. Man, I love this town. There is nothing you can't find here

Sambo

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 08:29:16 AM »
That makes perfect sense. My previous machine was a Rancillio Sylvia v3. I hated it... (too picky about grinds and very poor temperature control that requires you to tem-surf or install a PID on it. Too much for that price point).  It did however had great steam wand. How did you attach it to the Gaggia?  They do sell a "latte art" Panerello wand but it is black plastic and my machine is all chrome and brushed stainless and it will look horrible... taking off the current wand and use the steam arm would have worked if only the arm was longer.

When I bought the new wand, it came with a small adaptor to allow me to attach it. Otherwise it was just a matter of unscrewing the old one and screwing in the new one. I'm surprised to hear about the Sylvia, I heard they are a great machine if not a bit fiddly as you say. Also that you really need a good grinder to get the best out of it.

One problem with Rancillio wand on the Cubika, which may not be there on other models, is that the new steam wand is quite long and I need to mount the machine up a bit higher so I can get the milk jug under the wand without tilting it and spilling milk everywhere. I used a couple of old books that were the same size as the base. Another problem is that it tends to run out of steam, literally. The Cubika has quite a small boiler - is yours a Cubika or another model?

btw I uploaded an old closeup I had of the new steam wand, this should give you a better idea:

Edit: the shop that supplied the wand and the adapter and o-rings was Di Bartoli, at http://www.dibartoli.com.au/ . The owner there is very helpful and I'm sure if you rang he'd be able to assist, even if its only information regarding your model.

Further edit: Here is the page to the actual part itself, with the adapter: http://www.dibartoli.com.au/product/Rancilio_Silvia_Steam_Wand_with_Fitting

The problem is only the other way around. ...

About the stamp: Israel realize you may have problem traveling to these very few countries with which it has no ties. They have an official policy of NOT to stamp your passport (just ask when you hand it over in passport control). Usually if they see Syria and Malaysia stamps they will probably suggest it to you as a courtesy anyway. Instead of stamping it, they will just give you a note that you present back to them when you leave the country (then throw it in the trash). I have never heard of them refusing it but I have heard of people handing them American passports and not asking for a no-stamp receipt so they stamp it.

I happened to speak to two other Australians this morning, one had just come through Israel and his experience was good, smiles and all. He showed me the card that they stamp. The other however told me about his mother here that had been to Israel, trying to enter Syria, and although she didn't have any stamps in her passport she did have a small sticker that they place on the back cover which she forgot to remove, and she was promptly refused entry. Another friend told me that he asked not to stamp his passport, but they forgot, which meant he had to go through the hassle of replacing his passport to allow him to travel around the middle east. So yes, the issue may be the other way around but it's real and exists nonetheless.

Anyway I came here to talk about cheese, not politics! Forgive me.

What are the most popular cheeses in Jordan and Syria (except Labaneh of course)?

Most of the cheeses I've seen are imported, apart from  something they simply call "white cheese", which is sort of like fetta but softer and not quite as salty, usually sprinkled with black seeds. And this other white stringy stuff that's sort of wrapped in a ball. Sorry for my dodgy cheese terminology! I'll learn as I go along. After seeing some of the awesome pictures of the cheeses people have made on this forum, I'm quite excited about attempting a few myself.

cheers
sam
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:31:07 AM by Sambo »

Sambo

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 08:30:25 AM »
I bet its some kind of fresh goat's milk baker's cheese to use in knafe.

To be honest I haven't been too impressed with the kanafeh here, apart from one place ('Arafats). I've heard the best kanafeh is in Nablus.

Tomer1

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 01:35:22 PM »
Really?
I cant imagine how one can make a bad knafe given good ingridients.
I like honey syrup instead of plain sugar syrup. more flavor and depth. :)

Sambo

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »
Really?
I cant imagine how one can make a bad knafe given good ingridients.
You've never had the chewy stuff that gets passed off as kanafeh here in Jordan then sometimes! I'm not sure what cheese they're using but it doesn't seem right, sometimes it feels more like eating a pizza. We try to get the cream filled variety if we can, although that's not always available unless you make a large order.

iratherfly

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 06:15:31 AM »
Still, the best Knaffe I know is in Jaffa and Jerusalem.

I'm surprised to hear about the Sylvia, I heard they are a great machine if not a bit fiddly as you say. Also that you really need a good grinder to get the best out of it.

Indeed they are. The problem is that this is sold as the best machine one can get for $650 and in reality, you can't make espresso on it with any pre-ground coffee. You can't use ESE pods in it and your $100 grinder won't work either. $200 also won't be good enough. You probably won't be able to get a good grind for less than $350 (slow flat burr like the Rancillio Rocky or the Gaggia MDF) so this is really a $1000 configuration. (There is an aftermarket ESE adaptopr you can get for it but it is permanent, you won't be able to switch from ESE to ground coffee).  It's too bad because it's a well-constructed nice looking machine with lots of power in it. If it had the right grouphead (like the E61) it would be unbeatable. The other thing is that the temperature is so volitile that even with the perfect ground it can still brew over and under the temperature, giving you sour or bitter coffee. Most people fix it with a PID and YouTube has a million videos to explain how to temperature surf the Rancillio Sylvia.  I found this maddening. I mean, for $650 couldn't they stick a thermometer in there?  Far cheaper machines have them. How much does this part cost? Really? I just don't think anyone should spend so much for a machine that doesn't give you at the very least an OK espresso out of the box and you have to watch videos on YouTube to learn to cheat it to do what it was supposed to do in the first place...
is yours a Cubika or another model?

No, I have the Gaggia Achille. It's a manual lever heat exchange machine. It's like a little Italian sports car.  Brilliant design, extreme technology, hand made, gorgeous, expensive, high performance. And like an Italian sports car, it doesn't make any sense: Hot tempered, unreliable, leaky, picky, has handles and knobs in all the wrong places and all kinds of exposed areas that would burn you if you touch them. It's hilarious and I truly love it. It does single, double and ESE shots (great, I keep the decaf in ESE for guests). brews fantastic coffee with Gaggia commercial plated brass 58mm grouphead and portafilter and the steam, oh boy, it's extremely powerful and never ending. (ahhh, 1300W heating elements for an 800CC boiler???)

btw I uploaded an old closeup I had of the new steam wand, this should give you a better idea:

Thanks  for the photo and links!

Most of the cheeses I've seen are imported, apart from  something they simply call "white cheese", which is sort of like fetta but softer and not quite as salty, usually sprinkled with black seeds. And this other white stringy stuff that's sort of wrapped in a ball.

That's interesting. In Israel "white cheese" refers to Fromage Blanc which is a smooth spreadable cheese (unlike the equally named latin "Queso Blanco"). A very popular original Israeli cheese is called Tzfatit ("of Tzfat" or as the city is named in English "Sefad"). It sounds a lot like what you are describing. It was invented in the 1840's by settlers of the city of Sefad and it's really just a very gentle rennet-coagulated fresh brined cheese. It is one of the most popular dairy products in the country, used mainly in breakfast, sandwiches and salads and it often has toppings such as those black seeds which are Nigella (black cumin). Is this what it looks like?

I wonder what is that stringy ball you were talking about. It sounds a bit like some haloumi hybrid. These are all so local and close to each other. All those cheeses were invented within a 200km radius.

Sambo

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 07:15:43 AM »

No, I have the Gaggia Achille. It's a manual lever heat exchange machine.

That's an awesome machine! I knew about the Gaggia Factory lever but never knew about that one.

Is this what it looks like?

It looks like the cheese on the right, with the seeds sprinkled on top.

It sounds a bit like some haloumi hybrid.

That it could be, I'll find out more and get back to you.

iratherfly

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2011, 08:44:14 AM »
Yes, I love that crazy machine. Achille Gaggia was the namesake and founder of Gaggia. He is the inventor of the modern Espresso machine of course and about a decade after he patented these heat exchange lever machines he was the first to patent an electric pump in an espresso machine - the modern espresso machine as we know it today.  Gaggia made this model for some kind of birthday or anniversary of either him or the company - I can't remember. The look is based on a number of old Gaggia machines.

Here's a video I put on YouTube of me making Cappuccino on it this afternoon:

Yea, I thought it would be the same cheese... very typical to this region