Author Topic: Camembert - Uneven Penicllium candidum Mold Bloom  (Read 4539 times)

Melbourne Cheese

Camembert - Uneven Penicllium candidum Mold Bloom
« on: November 29, 2011, 11:24:20 AM »
Just thought I would post a pic of my Cams.  Am very happy at this point.  They have been in the cave for a day now.  So eagerly awaiting the little white specks of age to show.  Just hope they will be ready for Christmas.

Melbourne Cheese

Re: Camembert - Uneven Penicllium candidum Mold Bloom
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 11:25:44 AM »
Whoops, forgot to attach the photos!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 06:15:39 PM »
Whoops, forgot to attach the photos!
You do realize that you can go back and edit your previous posting, right?

Look up at your posting in the top-right corner and you should see "Modify". Click on that and remove the offending text that you wrote initially but have since calmed down about and thought better of add in your missing pics, words, smileys, etc.

Nice Cams, by the way.  Oh look, there's some fuzz!  Made you look!  :D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

boothrf

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:15:18 PM »
Very nice Richard.  :) What recipe are you using?

Melbourne Cheese

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:57:34 AM »
Thanks Boofer, did not think of modifying it, just added a new post straight away.

Thanks Bob, used the modern style recipe from Carole's book.  Think we use the same recipes.

boothrf

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:23:08 PM »
Yes Richard, I have used both her recipes a number of times. I have found the modern recipe an easy one to make, and gives consistent results. However, my expereince is that they seem to take a long while to ripen (probably due to the long synerisis time and stirring), and don't ever get to that lovely soft, "custardy" texture until they are really over ripe. I love the flavour, and even though they stay firm, they are still a lovely cheese.

I am now concentrating on the traditional recipe with some of my own variations around the syneresis and stirring times.  Still experimenting as there are a lot of factors that afffect the ripening times, including syneresis time, stirring, cheese size and shape, drainage temperature and of course pH. My aim is to achieve a consistent ripening time so I can then make cheeses for specific "eat" dates, eg parties, functions etc. My friends and family are always asking me to bring cheese to social events and I like to present a "perfect" cheese. My latest batch (5/11) are looking good, hoping they will be ready for pre Christmas parties, and maybe even Christmas day.

Made some blue bries on the weekend, using Carol's recipe. This is my first play with blue moulds, and so far, they are looking good. I'll post some pics soon.

Keep the "cheesealogue" going on your latest cams.

Melbourne Cheese

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 10:38:59 PM »
Well here are the lads, 6 days into maturing.  Nice mould starting to cover them.  On the underside I am a little concerned though as there is a fleck of red and black mould.  How should I get rid of it?

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 01:39:13 AM »
Thanks Boofer, did not think of modifying it, just added a new post straight away.

Thanks Bob, used the modern style recipe from Carole's book.  Think we use the same recipes.

Which book is this?  I'm kinda out of the loop lately...

--
Michael Dow

Melbourne Cheese

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 04:05:24 AM »
Hi Sominus,

It is a book sold here in Aus, you could get it by post.  Here is the link to the shop that I know that sells it, other than that, not sure where else to get it.

http://shop.cheeselinks.com.au/Cheesemaking-Book-c7/

Cheers

Richard

boothrf

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 07:45:41 AM »
Looking good Richard. Bit more mould and you can wrap them.  My blue bries are looking similar, but starting to develop a nice blue smell along with the PC aroma.
I have just cut out any discolouration I have found, I don't think it was mould. I used to get a couple of rust marks from my "stainless steel" racks before I started using plastic draining mat on top of the rack. Other forum members seem to wash the affeceted mould area with vinegar. Maybe put a specific post on the problems page will get you an answer?

iratherfly

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 08:13:38 PM »
Hmmm.... the uneven yet tall growth is a bit strange for this.  How did you inoculate your PC? Was this a proper culture? or did you use the rind of another cheese?  I would advice to spray them and kick off the mold everywhere. Make a 4% brine in a sanitized spray bottle. Drop a pinch of PC in it. Let reconstitute for 5 minutes and shake it to mix. Let rest in room temp for 12 hours. Aim a few empty "priming" shots into the sink (to get unmixed water out of the spout).  Now you can spray the cheese thinly all over.  Keep the brine in the fridge from now on. (good for 2 weeks). Repeat this once every day or two for 3-4 cycles. You will have a beautiful bloom all over.  In fact using this method you don't even have to inoculate PC in your cheese at all. Most commercial Camembert makers only spray the cheese.
If you put any geo in this cheese, cool it more or reduce moisture slightly at this point to prevent geo taking over.

Melbourne Cheese

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 09:43:35 PM »
Thanks for that advice.  One question, how do I get rid of the mould that is already there without damaging the cheese too much?  Just rub it off or wash??

iratherfly

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 01:54:43 AM »
Is it a pathogenic/unwanted mold? (I thought it was PC and Geo, is it not?) Or are you just afraid that you would have too much after spraying? (no need to worry about that)

If this is an unwanted mold, you can scrape it off carefully and treat with vinegar blotting and salt rubbing. If this is a mold you want than rub the cheese with your hands. This will flatten it a bit and will cause your hands to drag mold spores and implant them all over the bold areas of the rind to help them catch on and grow (a very traditional practice which you should do a few days after the mold shows up. It also helps making a nice tight rind and prevent skin slippage)

Melbourne Cheese

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 11:56:11 AM »
Thanks again.  I picked off the very small specks of mild I did not want and will give it a good rub as you say to spread the good stuff.

iratherfly

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 09:10:46 AM »
Keep us posted!