Author Topic: Mascarpone Cheese Making - My First Successful Batch  (Read 3992 times)

LadyLiberty

Mascarpone Cheese Making - My First Successful Batch
« on: January 26, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »
Was terrific.  I made it with a creme fraiche starter kit from cheesemaking.com.  I have tried it with tartaric acid, it's just not as good.

;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:11:45 PM by LadyLiberty »

Tea

Re: Mascarpone Cheese Making - My First Successful Batch
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:41:32 PM »
I'm glad it turned out for you.  This is one I am yet to try.  What was the recipe that you used?

LadyLiberty

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:57:03 PM »
I'm glad it turned out for you.  This is one I am yet to try.  What was the recipe that you used?

Super simple.

I got a Yogotherm Yoghurt maker for this...

1 quart of pasteurized, organic Half and Half from clover dairy
1 packet of creme fraiche starter from cheesmaking.com

I brought the temp. up to 86 F, mixed in the starter and poured the cream into the yogotherm and let it sit overnight, then I strained it for about 6 hours in a colander lined with two layers of cheese cloth.

That's it. 

Later on I incorporated it into tiramisu.

Tea

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »
mmm I don't have access to half and half, but I can improvise on that one, but I also don't have the fraiche starter, so I would need to invest in some of that first.
Thanks anyway.

wharris

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:15:40 PM »
that really looks tasty.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 10:51:16 PM »
that really looks tasty.

It turned out exceptionally tasty, creamy with a tang.  I really believe it was the dairy, because I made this recipe before identically except that the dairy was different and it just wasn't near as good.  The dairy I used for this was Cloverstornetta, which has organic milks and it comes from family farms up in the Sonoma area, where the happy cows commercials were recorded.  Evidently happy cows DO give better milk.  I'm sure that cows that eat on green pastures and aren't factory farms are less stressed, so there might be something to that.

It was superb cheese. :)

saycheese

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 03:41:07 AM »
Lady Liberty,
Thanks for the info on mascarpone made with tartaric acid.  I was going to try that but seems like I should order some of the starter you did to get a better product.  MMMMM -- cannolli or tiramisu with fresh mascarpone.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 04:16:35 AM »
Lady Liberty,
Thanks for the info on mascarpone made with tartaric acid.  I was going to try that but seems like I should order some of the starter you did to get a better product.  MMMMM -- cannolli or tiramisu with fresh mascarpone.

I probably oughta post that recipe, shouldn't I?

Wannie

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
You sure did LL and I found it here.

Thanks for posting.  Can't wait to try it  :)...

Ronnie from TN...