Author Topic: Our first pressed cheeses  (Read 4797 times)

LadyLiberty

Our first pressed cheeses
« on: January 26, 2009, 07:57:39 PM »
Farm House Cheddar on the left, Gouda on the right!

Tea

Re: Our first pressed cheeses
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:59:51 PM »
They look good, congratulations.

wharris

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 10:16:44 PM »
i just made some gouda this weekend. 

How long did you brine, and how long will you age.

Will you develope a natural rind? 

LadyLiberty

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 11:29:51 PM »
i just made some gouda this weekend. 

How long did you brine, and how long will you age.

Will you develope a natural rind? 

Tom made the gouda, and he's not here right now, I'll try to get him to respond to your post a little later.  And yes, the gouda has a rind on it already.  We made it last weekend.  I guess we'll age it for 6 months or so.

TomW

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 11:52:19 PM »
I brined it for 12 hours (overnight). It does appear to be forming someting of a rind, but I plan to wax it tomorrow and age it about six months.
This cheese making thing is an exercise in delayed gratification.

Erin

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 01:06:15 AM »
These look good Tom and Lady Liberty.

I'm still working towards building a cheese press and wondering what style you use. How big is the hoop and what is it made of?

LadyLiberty

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 01:12:36 AM »
These look good Tom and Lady Liberty.

I'm still working towards building a cheese press and wondering what style you use. How big is the hoop and what is it made of?

I bought Tom the press from cheesemaking.com.  The mold is 5.5" across.  It works pretty well!  I think the wood is maple.

Likesspace

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 03:06:41 AM »
LL and Tom....
Great looking examples of hard cheeses.
Gouda is one of my favorite cheese to make and it is one example of hard cheese that can be eaten young.
I've tried them as young as two weeks and as old as 6 months. Both had a very nice flavor and texture.
As for a press for hard cheese, I've been using a simple board and dowel type of press for the past three years. Although functional, it does leave a lot to be desired.
I would recommend that anyone who is looking for a cheese press, visit Carter's cheesemaking supply site before making any sort of commitment to anyone else.
Not only is Cater a great contributor to this board, in my opinion he is making the best designed press available.
If you check any of Carter's posts (and believe me, they are very numerous) you will find the link to his site in his signature.
It will be the weekend before I am able to post my first hand experience with this style of press ( I expect the one I purchased to come in tommorrow) but I am confident that it is exactly what I've been looking for.
Hope this information helps someone and again, very nice looking examples of a farmhouse cheddar and Gouda.

Dave

LadyLiberty

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 03:18:31 AM »
LL and Tom....
Great looking examples of hard cheeses.
Gouda is one of my favorite cheese to make and it is one example of hard cheese that can be eaten young.
I've tried them as young as two weeks and as old as 6 months. Both had a very nice flavor and texture.
As for a press for hard cheese, I've been using a simple board and dowel type of press for the past three years. Although functional, it does leave a lot to be desired.
I would recommend that anyone who is looking for a cheese press, visit Carter's cheesemaking supply site before making any sort of commitment to anyone else.
Not only is Cater a great contributor to this board, in my opinion he is making the best designed press available.
If you check any of Carter's posts (and believe me, they are very numerous) you will find the link to his site in his signature.
It will be the weekend before I am able to post my first hand experience with this style of press ( I expect the one I purchased to come in tommorrow) but I am confident that it is exactly what I've been looking for.
Hope this information helps someone and again, very nice looking examples of a farmhouse cheddar and Gouda.

Dave

Well I got our press before I even know this board existed, so sorry I missed Carter's press, but I'm sure it's great quality! 

I hope they taste as good as they look, Dave, we'll find out!  Thanks for the feedback! :)

Cheese Head

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 11:38:14 AM »
Congrats you two, great looking cheeses!

Mary Ruth

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 11:51:29 PM »
Very cool ;D  I am pleased for you both and hope you have many more cheese successes

Brian

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 01:45:33 AM »
Looking good!

Keep it up!

Brian

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 02:25:06 AM »
You guys made a nice looking chesse there congrats!