Author Topic: Grating cheeses  (Read 2585 times)

anutcanfly

Grating cheeses
« on: December 02, 2011, 05:50:08 PM »
I've been looking thru threads trying to decide which cultures to use and I'm not getting any closer to deciding!  :-\ 
I have in stock:

MA11
MM100
Flora Danca
LH
TA
Kazu
Lipase-mild

What combo in what percentage of these will produce something close to Parmesan or Romano?  Is there one I'm missing that is important?

zenith1

Re: Grating cheeses
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 06:46:13 PM »
Hi Anut.. the starters that I use for my tastes are-

Parmesan:
TA
LH100
Ma
LBC80

Romano:
TA
LH100
Sharp Lipase(of course not a starter0

In the Romano I use a 50/50 blend of TA and LH
In the Parmesan I use equal amounts of TA and LH100 with a little of MA and a pinch of LBC80

I am happy with both at 6-9 months, and really happy with the Parmesan at 1 year. If you search the forum I think that you will find a number of recipes for both as they are so popular. Of course everything boils down to one's particular tastes and to a certain extent tradition.

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 08:02:51 PM »
Thanks for the input zenith1.  Yes, I did run across a lot of info both on the forum and in books...too much and too little.  Too many types of cultures used, not enough info on how they will contribute to the final flavor.  I did one run of 50/50 LA and TA for Parmesan, asagio, and romano, and I wasn't impressed with the results.  The romano, which I had added lipase to, was almost too goaty, but ok.  The asagio was mild creamy and totally boring even at 6 months and tasted like the gruyere I had made, also very boring.  The parmesan was smooth creamy and mild at 6 months as well.  Thankfully, my sweetheart loves them, so I don't have to eat them!  :)

For round two of these cheeses, I'm trying to make changes that will at least make them taste different from each other!  I have a pH meter now and that should help give me a better idea of what's going on.

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 08:36:53 PM »
The PH meter will help in gaining control over your final product for sure. The blend of starters that I chose for the Parm was to increase the flavor and aroma profile. Of course with this critter you will want to age preferably 12-24 months. The flavor will definitely be much improved once you get to 12-18 months. The trick is forgetting about it that long. With the Romano I added sharp lipase to push it towards Pecorino in style, obviously sheep's milk being sharper. These are two of the more difficult cheeses to craft to one's liking  IMHO predominately because of the length of the aging before you can proceed to make your adjustments. But they are so tasty they deserve the extra effort.

anutcanfly

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
Having tasted both the first and 2nd romano I made, one with lipase-mild and one with raw goat milk-- real goat milk is the winner by a mile.  The long age time is why I'm being so slow/careful in choosing cultures this time.  I've already discovered the hard way that the book recipes sometimes leave things out...like the PB that would have my Gruyere taste like Gruyere!  Thank you for your help!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 10:25:12 PM »
I've already discovered the hard way that the book recipes sometimes leave things out...like the PB that would have my Gruyere taste like Gruyere!
I'm sorry, was I asleep in class that day? What is "PB"?  Peanut Butter?  ???

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:04:14 PM »
 :)  Make me look it up...Proprionic bacteria. 

zenith1

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 12:00:46 AM »
you guys crack me up!

anutcanfly

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 12:47:39 AM »
You too?  Ah well you're in good company... I cracked up years ago.  ;)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 07:16:53 AM »
:)  Make me look it up...Proprionic bacteria.
Okay, that typically is seen on the forum abbreviated as PS.  ;)

And I was so hoping someone was making cheese with peanut butter in the mix. Darn.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 02:38:36 PM »
Hi Anut.. the starters that I use for my tastes are- TA, LH100, Ma, LBC80

Zenith,

I am impressed that you have discovered LBC80, however it is not really a starter bacteria. L. rhamnosus is in a category called morgue bacteria because it kicks in as everything else is dieing. It has natural anti-yeast/mold properties and provides accelerated ripening. Why not use that in your Romano as well?

anutcanfly

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 06:12:21 PM »
yeah!  Keep talking you guys!  This is the stuff I need to hear!  What these strains do for the cheese!  ;D

Boofer, I'm not sure I'm ready for P & B just yet...you first!  ;)

zenith1

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 08:52:42 PM »
Thanks sailor. I knew that lbc80 is not a starter,I use it for the reasons that you have stated. I don't know why I never thought of adding Otto the Romano. I may just try that as well.