Author Topic: Habanero/Jalepeno Pepperjack - 3rd try!  (Read 2018 times)

High Altitude

Habanero/Jalepeno Pepperjack - 3rd try!
« on: September 20, 2013, 05:45:43 PM »
So, I think hope this one will be a winner!  Used Mary Karlin's recipe using 1 gal whole cow's milk and 1 cup cream.

The 1st attempt at a pepperjack was good (creamy) but not "hot" whatsoever.  I blanched chopped fresh peppers and think that removed all the peppers' spiciness.

The 2nd attempt had dried pepper flakes added and never really developed into cheese.  It slumped terribly while air drying, and turned out crumbly and soaking wet inside when opened a couple of months later.  Tossed one disastrous half, and bagged the horrendous rest which I have yet to retest (scared really!).

This 3rd make already looks better than either of the others and is not yet slumping during the first day of air drying...yay!  It is also 2/3 the height of the 2nd make, so much less retained moisture in the curd.  I must have cooked it better?  Also, I blanched whole peppers and then chopped (under sterile conditions) to hopefully retain the peppers' hotness factor. It'll probably kill me now!

mjr522

Re: Habanero/Jalepeno Pepperjack - 3rd try!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 08:45:25 PM »
Looks very fun!  Good luck.  I made a pepper jack that similarly had no spice to it.  I'll have to try again some time. 

High Altitude

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 09:42:38 PM »
How did you treat your peppers, Mike?

mjr522

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 02:31:08 AM »
I boiled them.  It was a strange cheese--very little pepper flavor, no real heat, yet it still gave people heartburn... ???

shotski

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 02:40:06 AM »
I have not tied this but I would think that dehydrating them in the oven would work best leaving the pepper oils behind or for a quicker method microwave and use a paper towel to take up any excess moisture. That is my 2 cents of free advice.

Pete S

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 04:01:12 AM »
  I don't know about the the oven, but in the microwave you will loose most of the heat of hot peppers as it cooks off first. I dry mine in a dehydrator then microwave them for a minute to sterilize them. this works fore me with dill that that that I have dried .
                                                   Pete

shotski

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 05:06:16 PM »
  I don't know about the the oven, but in the microwave you will loose most of the heat of hot peppers as it cooks off first. I dry mine in a dehydrator then microwave them for a minute to sterilize them. this works fore me with dill that that that I have dried .
                                                   Pete

Hi Pete, my oven has a dehydrate mode for the ovens that do not have this feature set the oven on the lowest setting and crack the door. Like you say microwave to sterilize by putting the dry herbs or seeds or in this case peppers on a plate with a separate glass of water this should retain the wanted flavors \ oils.