Author Topic: Hi, new from sydney  (Read 18452 times)

Crystal

Hi, new from sydney
« on: December 06, 2011, 07:46:30 PM »
Hi, im new to cheesemaking and new to the forums! I have so far enjoyed making the few cheeses i have and cant wait to start chatting to you!

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Re: Hi, new from sydney
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 08:55:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum Crystal.

Crystal

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:38:31 PM »
OK, ive been doing some homework and have found a home brew shop thats close that stocks cheese making supplies at very reasonable prices. So for anyone in Sydney Hills check here:

http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/pages/Thornleigh.html

Crystal

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:48:03 AM »
Just incase your wondering, Raw Cows Milk is available from http://www.abundantorganics.com.au who will home deliver in sydney. Also you can buy it at Dr Earths retail stores in Newtown and Bondi. They are the only two reliable sources i have found in Sydney for Cleopatras Bath Milk... (shame, but its the law!) I have been looking for a herd share/ cow share near me, none for love nor money! If anyone knows of one id be very interested in finding them!

keezawitch

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 08:14:33 AM »
Hi I have just joined this forum and I live near Penrith(Orchard Hills to be exact) I have a nice little saanen goat and sometimes have more milk than I can use, if you want a few litres just message me and I can let you know if I have spare, also there are a few people around here with goats I am slowly finding them and they may have fresh milk available too or maybe a share like the one you mentioned with a cow. I have found our local country brewer supplies not the freshest, what is the thornleigh guy like, also Absolutehome brewer at st marys will prob do special orders with his suppliers he has offered to do them for me. :)

Crystal

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
Hi Keeza!

Nice to meet a Sydneysider! Penrith is a long way to go for milk lol! But on occasion we do head out that way so will definatly let you know if were coming!

I havent actually been to the thornleigh one yet, just found him on the net. But id assume the cheese supply business isnt all that booming and thats why its not always fresh! I will get there one day and let you know how it goes. i do actually need some cultures soon so it shouldnt be long.

What "special orders" will he do? just for cheese supplies?

keezawitch

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 02:21:37 AM »
Hi Crystal, Where do you live, Penrith not too far these days with the motorways thank god, Pat(brewers shop) stocks all things alcoholic, brewing gear, distillation set ups, flavourings, fresh imported yeasts, hops etc. He is on the net under absolute home brew st marys nsw. I had a chat to him and his supplier also owns Mad Millies a cheesemaking supplier so he sent me a price list and said I could order some stuff through him, havent had the time but I plan to have a look at her website and mark down what i want, the country brewer is cheaper on some things but the guy at kingswood doesnt stock it all and what i did get was a bit old, and didnt work too well. cheeselinks has baskets cheap but i havent ordered as they dont quote freight until you order, have you dealt with them, have you found any aussie sights like this?

Nellie

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 03:43:17 AM »
Hi

My name is Nellie and I'm new to the site. Just thought I'd let you know
There is a cheesemaking shop opening at Northbridge Sydney in Feb.

keezawitch

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 06:52:49 AM »
thanks nellie,  do you live over that way? I get lost everytime i head over that direction, if you do and you go to the shop could post their name and cross fingers website, we may finally have somewhere  to get supplies without sending to victoria, uk or god knows where country brewer gets their stuff. ;D

Nellie

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 07:30:34 AM »
Yes I do live near that but work at Blactown! Their website is thecheesemakingworkshop.com.au. I don't know if they will increase their product range when the shop opens.

keezawitch

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 08:19:42 AM »
thanks, small world my husband came from blacktown and i grew up at seven hills, what kind of cheese do you make, I am very new to it, but i am giving it a go as I have a goat that i milk and want to make the best of the fresh produce.

Nellie

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 09:27:35 AM »
I did a couple of courses and have made Camembert, cheddar, haloumi, feta and haloumi. I also make yoghurt about three times a week. I'm really enjoying it.

keezawitch

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 10:19:07 AM »
sounds delicious, wouldnt mind doing a course but at the moment the grandkids keep me pretty broke, I am basically self taught, got a book looked up a few things, I have made, basic soft cheese that I flavoured with herbs, also same type of cheese i have added honey spice and rum soaked dried fruit, went down well, ricottawhey ricotta from basil flavoured whey,feta, quark, gbejnet, and a couple of edible mistakes, one yesterday was trying to make gbenjet but it somehow turned into a type of mozarella, I make a lot of yogurt but still searching for the perfect thickness as goat milk is hard to get nice and thick. would love to have a go at hard cheese just trying to get the time as they do take a bit of fiddling from what i have read.

keezawitch

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 10:21:03 AM »
crystal, what type of cheese are you into?

Nellie

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 12:55:19 AM »
Hi Keezawitch, I use UHT milk for my yoghurt so don't have experience with fresh cow or goat's milk but I use powdered milk mixed before I heat the yoghurt to help thicken.