Author Topic: Hi, new from sydney  (Read 18450 times)

keezawitch

Re: Hi, new from sydney
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 03:10:21 AM »
i used to use uht milk and extra powder too, but now i have my own milk i am using it, one lot used goat milk and powder milk it was way too thin so tossed in some greek yoghurt and popped it back on oven for another 9 hrs it turned out nice and thick, next one i used starter from this thinking it would add to thick ness, turned out thickish but not thick as i like, i am starting to think with goat milk needs to be cultured 8 hrs then add more natural yoghurt and culture again, thinking of getting a new yoghurt machine so can do it in 1 litre batches without putting it in little pots.

Nellie

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 06:04:35 AM »
I just love my yoghurt makers! It's the only way I have made yoghurt.

keezawitch

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 07:10:28 AM »
i used to do it that way but now i have my own milk i am experimenting, got a good one the other day but was really fiddly, the first culture was way too thin so dumped some natural yogurt into it and reheated, kept warm another 9 hrs and it turned out great, tried to do it again using that one as starter but didnt turn out as thick so back to the drawing board

Crystal

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 08:30:51 PM »
Wow, i go away for a few days and the sydney thread gets some visitors!! Im in Castle hill, so no, its not that fart to penrith, but i have 6 kids and am always 'broke' so the petrol would be more than the milk is worth!

I got my original kit from greenlivingaustralia which i found to be the cheapest online. I have done farmhouse cheddar, whey ricotta, fetta, ive got a caerphilly in the cave. I have flavoured some farmhouses with chives and i whipped up a wicked American Neufchatel before christmas. I havent made yoghurt from scratch yet, i use a packet one. I did attempt it one night and got milk the next day, seeing as it started from milk i wasnt impressed! LOL!!

Perhaps with the brewers shop we can pull together and order a larger amount, get a bigger discount and share it out?

keezawitch

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 03:51:34 AM »
crystal, castle hill isnt too far for me, as I said in the craft section will get back to you on coming over, man your good with the cheeses I am still a bit nervous and finding books here in australia on the subject seems to be alluding me, I have an american book so I am constantly converting and crossing fingers. The pooling Idea may be the go as a lot if the cultures come in amounts that do 250ltres by the time I will have used it the cultures would be a bit old so dividing them up would be sensible. 6 Kids hey, are they all singles or do you have a couple of multiples in there. I understand the broke thing, been doing that for yrs, first it was the kids and now its the grandkids, but life would be lonely and boring without them. One of the reasons we moved to the acreage is so kids can run free, and we can produce some food to suppliment all our pantries and the cost of renting here worked out better than a suburban place as one son has moved home and he pays half. Bet you had a mad morning if you kids all go to school, well take care

keezawitch

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 03:55:08 AM »
I just love my yoghurt makers! It's the only way I have made yoghurt.

I like my yogurt makers too it is just that I make a large quantity at a time and it is such a hassle to pour into all the little pots then scoop them out and then pour again, I have 3 going at once and still need more so I have been looking for one that does 1 or more litres in one pot I think I may have more success with the texture that way

Crystal

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 04:57:15 AM »
I have a yoghurt maker from Aldi, makes 1 lt in a big tub that you can use to store in the fridge! I love it! Im ignorant on making real yoghurt tho, so do you guys wanna share how you make it?

Oh, you can just use a large tupperware container inside an esky. Fill esky 3/4 of the way up the container with boiling water. put the lid on and off you go! Yoghurt in the morning!

My library had ZERO books on cheese... sad huh! I get all my info here... plus a lot of the makes on here come with pix and you can ask questions and get feedback on how your going. I love it! if you have that pricelist from mad millies can you photocopy it and mail? or scan it and email as a pdf? So i can look at it and see what we could get?

Oh, i have two single boys then 2 sets of twins: so DS10, DS4, DD2, DS2, DS1, DS1!

had the oldest start school today, then DS4 had his best start appointment. Also had to do the shopping (imagine buying food for 8 for a fortnight!), Then had to get 5 of the kids off to the drs for a skin infecton that has spread to almost all of them!! Now im going to lay down for a bit!

keezawitch

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 10:31:33 AM »
aldi hey, I will keep my eye out, dont get in there as often as i would like, I take my daughter in law grocery shopping and she prefers woolies, i love aldi but by the time we finish in woolies and I drop her off(after doing other shopping) I just cant face another grocery shop. No wonder you needed a lie down, thought my days were crazy. Lucked out at our library too, i will have to try and check out the recipes on here, I have gotten a couple from the girl I got my male goat off, also from a neighbour, the rest I have gotten off internet or from the book i have. I have used the oven and a large glass jar (holds 2 litre) for the yoghurt but temp control is iffy as my oven doesnt go low enough, looking forward to winter only because we have a fuel stove in kitchen as well as electric one, Hate the cold but cant wait to warm the room up and make yoghurt cheese and bread from the warmth it will generate. To make the yoghurt from scratch is sooooo easy, you can buy cultures from the brewer or online OR use a natural yoghurt from the supermarket, I use greek style as it is nice and thick, You add milk powder to milk bring it to the same temp you use for the packet stuff, think it is about 30-33%c add a small tub of yoghurt( i usually put yogurt into a jug and add a bit of warmed milk mix add milk mix do this till it is thin enough to pour, pour into warm milk mix well and put in yogurt machine, if you are happy with the result keep a couple of tablespoons aside in fridge and there is your starter for next batch, continue to get your starter this way. As for the mad millie site i am not good at adding attachments, actually i am hopeless, if i get my printer working i will print one off for you. Have you checked out cheeselinks.com they are aussie and cheaper than mad millie, if you have time and you havent collapsed with exhaustion give them a look and let me know what you think

keezawitch

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 10:47:16 AM »
just got an email from the cheesemaking shop that is opening in sydney, they dont charge freight if we arrange the pick up, I might be able to organise cheap freight as my husband works in the transport(freight) industry. I have also asked if we pool resources would they find that viable, waiting for the reply

Nellie

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 08:18:33 PM »
Hi ladies been good reading the local thread! 6 kids wow!! Do they enjoy your cheeses? I had a great cheese weekend - made six different sorts and yoghurt. I am going to the opening of the cheesemaking shop at  Northbridge tonight. I am happy to pick up orders and take them to work at Blacktown if that helps anyone.

boothrf

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 12:00:46 AM »
Hello ladies, been away for a while and just checked back in today. I buy all my supplies from cheeselinks. You can check the freight costs before committing, they have a calculator on the ordering page. It's not expensive, (standard Australia Post rates)  but like all freight, its best to consolidate an order rather than order one item. I find them very reliable and fast, and the items are top quality and fresh. You can also ring them to place an order and they are very helpful.  I prefer them to brewers supplies as they usually dont have any idea about cheese, whereas cheeselinks is a speciallty cheese supplier who supply not only home cheesemakers, but also some commercial operations.  I'm not associated with them, just a happy customer. 

I make cams, blue bries, fetta, halloumi and yoghurt and have not had a problem with any ingredient (just my technique!).

Nice to see more Aussies on the forum! Happy cheesemaking.  :)

Bob

keezawitch

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 05:56:40 AM »
hi Bob, thanks I have been looking at cheeselinks for a while now but hadnt ordered as I didnt know freight costs, they are by far the cheapest anf it is good to know thier products are good

Crystal

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 06:14:36 AM »
thanks bob ;)

what cheeses did you make nellie?

i'll not bother going to brewers then, keep ordering online or arrange with you to pool an order!

will have to check out that workshop place!

keezawitch

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 07:49:17 AM »
i think i will go for cheeselinks if freight price is ok, I need baskets, moulds all that kind of thing i havent been able to find around here as well as some cultures etc. I keep urging hubbie to kill one of the goats so I can make my own rennet too, oh and eat the meat, mustn't forget that. He doesnt seem to enthusiastic though.

Nellie

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 08:27:19 AM »
Crystal, I've done a couple of courses and make Camembert, haloumi, Havarti, feta, cheddar, Romano and mozzarella. Just got hold of the Ricki Carroll book so I'm looking at some of those recipes. The cheese cave is full at the moment so I must be a bit patient.