Author Topic: Best for cheesecake?  (Read 4646 times)

Storm256

Best for cheesecake?
« on: December 09, 2011, 05:07:50 PM »
I would like to make a a cheesecake with my own cheese,  after reading a few posts here I have begun to wonder what approach is best to create a cheese best suited for this. Should I make an actual cream cheese with 100% cream or a Neufchâtel with milk? Also seeing as it will be used in a sweet dish would less time aging / hanging be a good idea?
Any suggestions?

anutcanfly

Re: Best for cheesecake?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 06:55:33 PM »
I've made cheese cake with fat free fromage blanc when I was dieting and it came out very well, and I've used chevre to make cheesecake ice cream--lovely with homemade preserves or honey and toasted walnuts...  Have fun, there are many soft cheeses that will work.

For a really fluffy cheese cake you can beat the eggs white until stiff and fold them in...it's a bit tricky to get temp and cook time right so top doesn't split...

Darn, now I've got cheesecake on my mind!  I'm just gonna have to make one now!  :P

iratherfly

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »
Be acreful when mentioning Neufchâtel. The American version is really a highly processed light cream cheese but the name is originally a french triple cream bloomy cheese (usually heart shaped) that is rather salty and would not work for any cheesecake by any stretch of the imagination...

My favorite too is Fromage Blanc. I find it to be much lighter and tangier than Philadelphia style cheesecake. You can't replace one for the other though and would have to find a recipe that is made for fromage blanc or quark (they would substitute one another well). There are many out there as this is very popular in Europe. This is an easy cheese to make at home.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 04:36:49 PM »
Here is a recipe for a German style cheesecake that someone brought to a recent cheese club meeting. It uses quark, which is simple to make; it's not super sweet or heavy like some American style cheesecakes. I think it is delicious.

darius

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 06:04:31 PM »
Great sounding recipe, Pam. Thanks for the link.

I've only ever made one cheesecake, and it was with the recipe on this forum using American Neuf.

It was terrible.

Storm256

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 06:26:17 PM »
Thanks Guys!  Fromage Blanc it is then. Think I'll try this recipe.
http://travellingfoodies.wordpress.com/2011/04/18/simple-eats-feather-light-fromage-blanc-cheesecake/

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 10:52:45 PM »
Here is a recipe for a German style cheesecake that someone brought to a recent cheese club meeting. It uses quark, which is simple to make; it's not super sweet or heavy like some American style cheesecakes. I think it is delicious.

That's the cake I grew up on!  So easy to make! My mom also makes is with 100% quark/fromage blanc so no cream+cornstarch to thicken it up. It's more tangy which makes up for all that sweetness. Really good!

I posted a few months ago some recipes for fromage blanc cakes here. Can't remember where's the link

boothrf

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 11:48:52 PM »
I just use a simple cream cheese, cultured overnight to get a nice flavoursome cheese. Made this uncooked lemon cheesecake a week ago, the family loved it!

dthelmers

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 11:52:12 PM »
Iratherfly, here's the link to the cheesecake recipes you posted, I've got it bookmarked.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,5728.msg43010.html#msg43010

Cloversmilker

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 01:07:17 AM »
I just made a cheesecake last night with ricotta and some cream cheese made with the French cream cheese recipe from the 200 Easy book.  It was a nice combo; not as dense and rich as some cheesecakes.  Not very sweet either, which I liked. 

1 cup ricotta
1.5 cups cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 or 4 eggs

Cream ricotta and cream cheese together until smooth.  (Can use beater if desired.)  Cream in everything else but the eggs.  Beat in the eggs one by one.  Pour onto your favorite prebaked crust (or none if desired) and bake at 350F about 40 minutes.  You want the edges to be firm, but the center still wobbly.  (I used a large pan, giving a thinner cheesecake that baked in 30 minutes.)  Chill before eating.   ;D

hydromojo

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 03:11:57 AM »
Hello - great discussion. I had a question about cheesecake made from just cream cheese. After making and chilling, i cant seem to keep it out for long. once it warms to room temperature, it cuts like butter, not a 'cake'. is this normal ?

raol

Tomer1

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 03:44:15 AM »
That's the cake I grew up on!  So easy to make! My mom also makes is with 100% quark/fromage blanc

LoL my mom always makes it on Shavueot and always fears that it will collapse.

Tomer1

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 03:54:43 AM »
is this normal ?

Have you used any binding agents such as eggs?

MrsKK

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 04:03:21 PM »
Hello - great discussion. I had a question about cheesecake made from just cream cheese. After making and chilling, i cant seem to keep it out for long. once it warms to room temperature, it cuts like butter, not a 'cake'. is this normal ?

raol

If you give recipe details we might be able to help you out with your question.

Crystal

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »
I find plain creamcheese does get to soft and ends up like cheese smoosh cake, try 1/4 tsp gelatine disolved in a bit of hot water added to the mix. cake hold up well without being too firm.