Author Topic: my 2nd parmesan  (Read 2188 times)

anutcanfly

my 2nd parmesan
« on: December 09, 2011, 06:40:48 PM »
I was disappointed with my first one—too bland.  It’s still aging so it might improve.  Decided to make some changes to the cultures for my second try.  This make went well as far as I could tell.  Crossing my fingers.  :)

2nd Parmesan    12/08/11

4 gallons raw Brown Swiss cow milk – Part skim approx 2%, milk pH 6.6?

2 tablespoons Athenos yogurt (for LB and ST), mixed with 2 tablespoons water
1/8 teaspoon TA060
1/4 teaspoon LH100
1/8 teaspoon MA11
1/8 teaspoon lipase - mild 

Warmed milk to 94 degrees, then added cultures and lipase.  Let ripen 45 minutes - pH 6.6, temp dropped to 92 degrees—oops.

Added ¼ tsp (x3) rennet and stirred in.  Floc at 14 minutes x 2-2.5 multipier = 28 – 35 minutes.  Checked for clean break at 28 minutes.  Clean break at 28, so cut into lentil sized pieces and let rest for 10 minutes.  Temp at 94 degrees.

Warmed curds to 124 degrees over an hour.  Went perfect--on target.  Let settle and the curds started matting--the pH was 6.2

Drained curds and molded.  Pressed at 30 lbs for a ½ hour then redressed.  Pressed overnight at 204 pounds, redressing once.

Yield 3 lbs 3 oz after unhooping.

Brined for 20 hours, flipping after 10.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: my 2nd parmesan
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 08:38:41 PM »
Pressed overnight at 204 pounds, redressing once.
Oh yeah, heavy lifting pressing. Feel the burn.

Thanks for the recipe. Yet another cheese to make and sock away for a year....  ;)

I have yet to do a parmesan. Next year for sure. You inspire me.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »
Pressing that much weight really works up an appetite--hem, what's ready to cut into?  :P  That really bites having to wait a year before you know if you got it right!  :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 07:29:31 AM »
Pressing that much weight really works up an appetite--hem, what's ready to cut into?  :P  That really bites having to wait a year before you know if you got it right!  :)
Carly Simon had it right...
Anticipation

After almost a year, I'm about ready to cut into my Tomme #2. Then if I do that, I have to start another cheese on its long affinage journey.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 07:04:21 PM »
Counting the days one cheese at a time.  It's hard to decide which is more pleasurable, eating the cheese you have made, making the next cheese, or anticipating the ones to come!  ^-^