Author Topic: Monterey Jack question  (Read 1551 times)

justsocat

Monterey Jack question
« on: December 10, 2011, 04:48:00 AM »
I've read in the "World cheese book" that Monterey Jack is coated with vegetable oil, cocoa and pepper. Can anybody tell me, please, what kind of pepper and what are proportions of the coating mixture? May be there are some tips and tricks? At the picture the rind of that Jack looks so nice. I want to try it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 04:57:13 AM by Pavel »

JeffHamm

Re: Monterey Jack question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Hi Pavel,

I've been thinking of making a "dry Jack" as well.  I think the pepper and cocoa rind treatment is intended for long aged cheese, so think age for a year type thing.  Because of this, it wouldn't hurt to reduce the floc mutliplier a touch.

I believe it's a mixture of cracked black pepper corns and cocoa powder, but I don't know the ratio.  I would think this doesn't get added until
a month or two after the make though.  I'm looking forward to finding out the details as well. 

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:22:46 PM »
Mary Karlin has a recipe for it in her new book.  I'm on the way out the door, but I'll post her version later.

anutcanfly

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 04:52:58 PM »
The recipe I have is for a 2 lb Jack cheese.  She lets it ripen for a week before rubbing the rind.

Rub: 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons instant expresso powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons finely ground black pepper, 4 1/2 teaspoons olive oil.  Place the cheese on a rack in your cheese cave so air circulates around it.  Rub one 1/4 of the rub mixture every day for the next 4 days.  She then recommends ripening the cheese 10 months to 2 years at 60 degrees and 75% humidity.

Happy thoughts,
anut  :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 05:49:59 PM »
Thanks!  That sounds easily doable.  I might give one of those a try over the holidays.

- Jeff

justsocat

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 01:49:06 AM »
Thank You, anut!
Let's see how it works :)

anutcanfly

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 05:39:28 PM »
I'm going to have to try it too.  I love dry jack, especially with pepper corns.  :P

justsocat

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 06:17:35 AM »
A couple of observations. The coating mix is well balanced in ratio. Very good flavour. But it is too thin. Too much oil is applied on the rind at my opinion.

anutcanfly

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 06:39:50 PM »
Thanks Pavel, good to know.  I'll reduce the oil when I have a go at it.

justsocat

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 01:52:15 AM »
Today I've made one more cocoa pepper and coffee mixture and has added it to previous mix with oil. It's still thin. I'd ruther rub the wheel with oil and than with dry mix powder.