Author Topic: Brie de Melun - A brevi brie  (Read 2171 times)

silverjam

Brie de Melun - A brevi brie
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:05:18 AM »
Hello all.

I am looking for a penicillium candidum style cheese with brevibacterium linens in it. I came across Brie de Melun as a suggestion of this combo. I am wondering if anyone has any idea of the method? Obviously it is a brie variant, but I am wondering if the b linens is added at the ripening stage (most common option) or to the rind via spray or washing?

I am guessing due to the 'rareness' of this unique combination cheese I will not get a barrage of info, so for those more interested in knowing more see http://frenchfoodfool.com/2011/01/28/cheese-university-xi-brie-de-melun/

I am also interested if anyone knows any other rare combos of peni candi with b linens.

Thanks.

Silver
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:32:01 AM by silverjam »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Brie de Melun - A brevi brie
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:42:32 PM »
Well, it's not a Brie, but I recently did a Reblochon that turned out pretty nice. It contained both PC and linens. It could probably be stretched to fill a Brie mold.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

boothrf

Re: Brie de Melun - A brevi brie
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:22:25 AM »
 :) :) Tasmanian Heritage Red Square....my favourite cheese! Love the beautiful soft, glossy paste, with the rich creamy earthy taste, set off by the lovely washed rind bite. A real taste sensation.

If you can replicate that, then you have truly mastered the art of Washed Rind Bries silverjam!!