Author Topic: Danisco's Choozit PLA - Uses In Making Cheese  (Read 3090 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Danisco's Choozit PLA - Uses In Making Cheese
« on: December 12, 2011, 09:49:03 AM »
Has anyone used the Choozit PLA LYO 10D rippening mix before.  I would be curious to know what type of cheese would be best suited for this.  Also, can I combine some of these spores with some PenCad and spray on cheese rather than direct innoculation.  I was planning to experiment with some Jersey milk this week and was thinking in the Reblochon line, or whatever some of the more experianced folks suggest.  Thanks.

smilingcalico

Re: Danisco's Choozit PLA - Uses In Making Cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 06:51:43 AM »
I don't have experience with this, but Danisco says it can be used for Fontina or Tilsiter.  They recommend direct inoculation, but perhaps others can support or refute my hunch that it could be used in a spray. Best wishes.

elkato

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 02:51:52 PM »
Hello George, PLA is a surface ripening culture it is a mix of bacteria mould and yeast specially formulated for reblochon and other french cheeses,
 reblochon is not the easiest cheese to start but is the one that I started with, do a search for the recipes in the forum, you will need a starter culture like MM100 +TA062 from Danisco and of course rennet and proper molds. the PLA can go in with the make but if you don't have it at first(like me) you can smear it when you wash the cheese
good luck and study the information in this forum  all you need is in here.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 07:24:35 PM »
Thanks, I did try Reblochon, even if it will not be perfect, I need to start somewhere and learn.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:32:01 PM by george13 »