Author Topic: Blue Cheeses -pH At Salting  (Read 1287 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Blue Cheeses -pH At Salting
« on: December 11, 2011, 12:32:53 PM »
Anyone know what the salting pH target for a Dolce Gorgonzola should be.  My room is a bit cold and I am having problems getting below 5.00.
Thanks

iratherfly

Re: Blue Cheeses -pH At Salting
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 12:49:51 AM »
Mould at 6.15-6.35pH
Demould at 4.8-5.00pH

Assuming average room temp if you are moulding during the day and demoulding the next morning. These are general blue guidelines that my not be perfect for your cheese, but demoulding below 5 is normal. I assume you are salting right after demoulding.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
I am, thanks.  What would you consider average room temperature 68F?  I am trying to find a good overall room temp that I can work with, or at least work to, during certain phases of cheese making. While on topic, is the three day of salt rubbing done at room temperature or should I place cheese in cave now under RH conditions and salt two more times by removing.  Thanks again

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »
These European recipes assume that you are making the cheese during the day at around 80°F (27°C) and let the cheese drain at night when the room cools down to about 68°F (20°C). If your room is controlled at a single temp, just make it in between, but I think 72°F room would give you more than sufficient results. The result have also a lot to do with moisture of the cheese and air humidity and what yeasts or geo you have going in the air and the cheese so if your room is steady, you can modify your cheese to follow the room condition rather than the other way around.

All of these recipes are +/- 0.2pH so I really think you will be fine without any changes to the cheese or room