Author Topic: Culture for Parmesan  (Read 2342 times)

Chicken man

Culture for Parmesan
« on: December 14, 2011, 10:04:36 AM »
Hi All.
I have just purchased a pack of DVS starter for my first attempt at Parm, with cows milk.
The type in Australia is Type C starter and the technical details are as below:

A thermophilic (high temperature starter) used mostly in Italian style cheeses such as Mozzarella, Romano, Parmesan, Pepato, Pecorino and other Italian hard cheeses. The technical name for the bacterial cultures in Type C Cheese cultures are: lactococcus thermophilis and  lactobacillus helveticus.

Each pack contains enough product to be used with 250L of milk which will make between 20-30kg of cheese!

All starters are Direct Vat Set (DVS) and need to be stored in the freezer. Starter culture will be active for at least 12 months if kept in the freezer at or below -18 degrees Celcius

Can anyone tell me if this is adequate for my cheese?
I see posts by people discussing culture cocktails for Parmesan.
Would like to make it with a good finished result.
Thanks
Ian

zenith1

Re: Culture for Parmesan
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 01:57:12 PM »
Ian Thermo C will give you a nice starting point for your Parms. You are correct in your readings here on the forum about various starter mixes that we you. It is all an attempt to end up with a cheese that you are happy with as far as your personal tastes. I personally use a mix of TA61/LH100/MM/LBC80. I think a lot of the success in Parm's is being able to achieve the aging time that will result in a fabulous cheese-which means hands off until 12-18 months! That is the real hard part!

Chicken man

Re: Culture for Parmesan
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 02:08:56 PM »
Thanks Keith!

It seems I will have to read up on these starters you mention.
I think they are classified more simply in Australia!!
Although, I looked at the commercial pages of my suppliers web site and
found lots of thing available...in huge quantities.

Ian