Author Topic: possible solution?  (Read 1148 times)

anutcanfly

possible solution?
« on: December 14, 2011, 06:17:31 PM »
I would like to do a swiss type cheese tomorrow, but I've read that it's hard to develop eyes in a small wheel as the gas escapes.  I've been trying to think of a way around the problem as I can only make a 4 lb wheel.  It seems to me that if I vacuum pack during the time it should be developing holes it might be enough pressure on the outside of the cheese to keep the gas in?  And/or I could submerge it in something to create the needed barrier? 

What do you think?   :-\
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 06:37:47 PM by anutcanfly »

linuxboy

Re: possible solution?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 07:05:59 PM »
It is not hard provided that you made the wheel at least 4" tall (ideally 7" ish), and you press under whey to really fuse the curds. And you do a proper rest in the cold room before moving for eye formation. I wrote a long reply on eye formation and late blowing defect in a thread here on alpines; take a look, it covers a lot of ground for the nuances (high drain pH, moderate brine pH (~5.2), etc). You're not after keeping the gas in, you're after forming few nucleation sites and controlling temp during secondary ripening that produces the eyes. The bag wouldn't help much if your rind isn't conditioned and if your curd wasn't fused properly.

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 07:43:57 PM »
Thanks linuxboy, I'll look for it.  :)

Cloversmilker

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 02:23:42 AM »
Hi Anut,

Just to encourage; I've produced eyes in 4 pound rounds.  They were made in the summer here in Oregon and were barely 4 inches tall. 

anutcanfly

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 02:42:52 AM »
Thanks cloversmilker.  :)