Author Topic: Latest Stilton - whoooaa! Too strong.  (Read 2285 times)

matnewman

Latest Stilton - whoooaa! Too strong.
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:17:08 PM »
I cut open my latest Stilton today in preparation for having some people round on Sunday for Christmas drinks and nibbles.  Hmmmm.  It's around 12 weeks old and is just way too strong - far stronger than the last one I made.  I'm wondering if I added too much P.Roqueforti?  Also the inside isn't a creamy + blue colour rather a sort of tan + blue colour which makes me wonder if I didn't get too much air inside it and some of the mould has died (like it does on the rind)?

I only had a small bit about 10 mins ago and I can still taste it - so at least it's good value for money!  Maybe I'll use it in cooking.  Either that or hope my guests like super-strong flavours!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Latest Stilton - whoooaa! Too strong.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »
Looks a tad bit on the dry side. How were you storing it? Humidity? Temperature?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

matnewman

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 11:27:31 AM »
In a Tupperware box at the top of the fridge.  Around 6c and RH of 70-80.

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 12:48:10 PM »
Idealy you want it 10-12c at 85-90%.
The curds do look dry, you want it really creamy,soft and moist.

Also you didnt mention the wight-size of the cheese?

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 09:52:23 PM »
Yea, I second Tomer on that one, 70%-80% RH are drying temperatures. You need 90%-95% to keep it going.  High initial acidity, too much calcium, or over salting can also contribute to brittle dry texture.  You can use less P.Roq, and this cheese may have also been nice about a month ago. It's just a bit over the hill now. Sorry to hear that... better luck next batch!

anutcanfly

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 11:44:53 PM »
Strong blues are my favorite for cooking, creamy soups  or cheese sauces, great for kicking flavor up a notch!  I posted a cauliflower blue cheese bisque a month ago.  It's an great recipe to throw failed cheeses.  It's an awesome soup period.  :)

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 02:54:58 AM »
I make sauce with strong blue, cream and fresh mint to put on lamb. Delicious.  I also use some blues together with artichoke hearts as filling in puff pastery -great snack, appetizer or great spring lunch if you also mix caramelized onions and make it in a larger format turnover, serve with green salad.

Tomer1

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 02:23:45 PM »
Blue ON TOP of lamb?  thos are some robust flavors right here friend.

I really like blue cheese egg pasta,perfect comfort food.
Melt a ton of cheese with a ton of butter,add some fresh parsely at the end and toss with the pasta.

I also sneak some blue into my ravioli filling sometimes along with goat triple cream cheese.  It brings an aroma and flavor demension nothing alse is capable of.

anutcanfly

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »
Oh my that sounds good!!!  I'd hadn't thought try it in ravioli... Great Ideas you guys!  I tried melting it on roasted pears recently, but I'm afraid cheddar and pecans won the taste test for that.  If you have time, post some of your favorite cheese recipes!  :P

iratherfly

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 05:56:51 AM »
Haven't been on this thread in a few days, just saw Tomer's posts. I am so hungry now!