Author Topic: Coagulation, Rennet - Slow Coagulation  (Read 2402 times)

Masterblaster79

Coagulation, Rennet - Slow Coagulation
« on: December 16, 2011, 06:02:54 PM »
Added rennet per recipe and not manufacture! If the curd is not set in proper time can i add more to get proper set?

Crystal

Re: Coagulation, Rennet - Slow Coagulation
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 08:14:17 AM »
I read a post the other day about some overheated milk that would not set, they waited overnight, got it set and continued to make the cheese. but i think as soon as you cut you cant add more, or if you stir...

Dont quote me though, i could be wrong ;-)

You could always turn it into something else!

iratherfly

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 10:17:32 PM »
Usually not, it will destroy whatever coagulation you have already gotten and the new rennet will not mix properly inside the curd that have already began to form.  In some recipes of more acidic cheese you may be able to wait and see what happens. In harder cheeses it's more sensitive and you would be better off trying to make cheese with the poor curd than waiting longer for it to harden (as it will give you acidic crumbly dry cheese that can't even melt).

Watch out for the recipe and the rennet. Rennet comes in single and double strength, and strength in the US is different than in the EU. In the EU single strength rennet is 10,000:1 and double is 20,000:1, in the US single strength rennet is 15,000:1 an double is 30,000:1.  (So single EU rennet for example will use 1 part to gel 10,000 parts)

Masterblaster79

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 12:24:02 AM »
I got it handled! Just needed to wait an extra 45 min and got a clean break! My recipe was for a farmers cheese and called for a 1/4 tbs for 2 1/2 gallons of milk but the rennet from dairy connection says 1 tbs for 2 gallons! I used 3/4 tbs for 3 gallons! will be eating tomorrow so will know how it turns out!

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 06:45:38 AM »
Yep, that works for fresh cheeses. If you are making a hard or semi-hard cheese an extra 45 min would be disastrous