Author Topic: My Beaufort Number Two  (Read 6576 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: My Beaufort Number Two
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 01:47:18 PM »
I wanted to just keep this in its minicave in the cave and let it gently age but I felt that it was drying a bit too much so I decided to vacuum-seal it to preserve what residual moisture it had.

This particular cheese has been an interesting experience. It introduced me to the care and feeding of a natural rind and educated me for future endeavors. While it was in progress I applied some of that new-found education to Beaufort #3 and also used the rind-washing from this cheese to further the rind development of that cheese.

I will be anticipating the discovery of this cheese's character around Christmas.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

max1

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 08:05:01 PM »
Boofer, that rind on the #2 looks great!  So if I understand correctly you didn't wash it with anything other than a brine?  What kind of molds/organisms do you think grew on there?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 12:54:46 AM »
Boofer, that rind on the #2 looks great!  So if I understand correctly you didn't wash it with anything other than a brine?  What kind of molds/organisms do you think grew on there?
Thanks, yes, I'm very pleased with the way it looks so far. The proof will be in the eating though.  ;)

Yes, just a brine. You can see from the early pics that I had all kinds of stuff trying to set up shop on the rind. I was able to keep after it and reach the point where it is now. Some of the flora was wild blue, geo, and b. linens.

I had targeted Christmas as its opening time, but I think I'll find some other diversion and try to push it out a little further. My birthday's in January...that would be a nice present to myself.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:13:05 AM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 10:18:40 PM »
Happy New Year!

After a little bit of a wait, the day is finally here to crack this cheese. Upon cleaving it in two I notice that it is "chunking" off and spalling the same way an aged hard cheese might be expected to do. The paste is fairly dry with no signs of residual trapped whey that I have seen in some of my other earlier efforts. There are amino acid crystals scattered throughout the paste which also give the cheese some added character.

I picked up a chip and put it in my mouth. Nice salt level. A very slight tang, but not what I have tasted as acidic in some other cheeses. Its complex taste is a little nutty and maybe a little earthy, but not really mushroomy. The flavor draws me in, enticing me to enjoy the taste with a piece of fruit. The flavor lingers. There is a creaminess and mystery of character that makes me envision cows up on alpine slopes.

I have yet to taste a commercial Beaufort cheese, but we are in a new year so the future looks bright. My effort here gives me hope that I may be close to the style. If not, I still put this in the success column. I sealed half the wheel to continue aging, along with some samplers to taste along the way, and a taste for my son to welcome the new year.

I bought raw milk yesterday to craft another cheese this weekend for next year.  :)

-Boofer-

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:54:10 AM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!

anutcanfly

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 11:29:02 PM »
That does look enticing!  I wonder if I will ever have the patience to maintain a rind for that long!  Or the ability to verbally describe cheese in a way that makes your insides yearn for the smallest crumb to be thrown before you!  Good Job!  :)

anarch

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 09:46:06 PM »
Wow, this looks amazing.  I think I might need to try one of these.  Have you tried the others or any more of this one?

JeffHamm

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 12:36:43 AM »
I don't know how I missed the opening of this one!  It looks fantastic and it sounds like the taste gets a corresponding rating too.  Well done, and a cheese to you for such a nicely documented series.

- Jeff

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 04:20:28 AM »
Well done boofer! Looks wonderful and sound greats too! That's indeed worth a cheese!

Helen

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 05:31:20 AM »
That looks tasty.

I am wondering if the texture might not be crumbly as a Cantal. I wish I could get a taste!

Great job, Boofer. That rind looks right!