Author Topic: My first Jarlsberg  (Read 6991 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: My first Jarlsberg
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 07:24:53 AM »
Anut, that has to be one of the premier realizations of Swiss on the forum! Kudos.

I extend a cheese to you for your superlative efforts. Nice eyes.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 06:28:07 PM »
Why thank you Boofer!  But how did you know I had nice eyes?  ;) 

Thanks Jeff,  I do remember reading that as well.  Thankfully the size of the holes has no bearing on the texture or taste.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 03:16:21 AM »
I missed this thread >>>>  awsome cheese Anut! Another cheese for you lady! Best eyes I have seen - well done!

anutcanfly

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 04:58:16 AM »
Thanks DeejayDebi,

It's nice having things go well once in a while!  My sweet even loves this cheese and he doesn't normally like swiss cheese!  ;D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 08:32:12 PM »
Funny you say that - I am not crazy about store bought swiss but I like my own.

anutcanfly

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 12:04:19 AM »
I tried a store bought Gruyere so I would know what it was supposed to taste like...yech!  I sure hope mine tastes better than that!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 04:04:37 AM »
I think the raw milk makes cheese taste better. More creamy, less blah. Store swiss always seems so dry and crusty to me or something.

anutcanfly

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »
Is rubbery the word you're looking for?  :)  I was expecting a bit of rubber in the texture, given the fact that store bought does, but in fact there was none!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 11:35:27 PM »
Yeah rubbery but dry. Just not the nice creamy, cheesey, melt on my tougue thing I have come to love with real cheese.

anutcanfly

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 12:13:59 AM »
Have you had the same experience with roasting your own coffee?  It's gotten so bad I thought I'd roast it myself, but I worry that the green beans available for purchase might  be the same as is used in the bad coffee I'm trying to avoid!  When you drink espresso all faults are magnified!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 08:21:13 PM »
I Love roasting my own coffee. The freshness is a wonderful thing. I may not be cheaper as the beans average $5 to 20/pound but so many coffee name brand sellers are adding junk to the coffee that you aren't buying pure coffees anymore. I found that many store brand were bothing my stomach because of it. If you really enjoy a great cup of coffee you have to try roasting your own beans. You could try it in a popcorn popper and see what you think.

My favorite green bean seller is Burmans in Wisconsin    http://www.burmancoffee.com/ 
yeah I know I do everything from Wisconsin - great people out there!

I also have a webpage and a section of my forum for reviews of different beans and roasters to get you started:

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/RoastingCoffee.htm

http://deejaysworld.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

I did an eBook but it seems to have disappeared  .... I will find it.

anutcanfly

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »
Thanks!  I went ahead and ordered my whirly popper and Brumans 3 pound bundle for dark roasts.  I'll look for your bean reviews, that would be very helpful, there's such an array of beans!  It's getting hard to tell the difference between canned coffee and Starbuck's coffee. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »
I find with expresso being so popular today many companies just burn there beans and call it specialty coffee. You will be amazed at how just a hint of color change in coffee makes it so different. I buy mostly the cheap beans but I have learned to buy them in 5 pound increaments. I found a bean 2 years ago called Costa Rican Honey Palmares. I only bought 1 pound. This bean was fabulas! To me it was like the experince some people have with a great chocolate! OMG! I went back to get more and it was gone! Haven't seen it since. I seem to especially love the Costa Rican coffees. I do like like the flowery perfumy Kenyas. I did get some beans sent to mefrom one of my forum members from the Phillipeans about a month ago for doing some design drawings for him that was a locally grown variery and I really enjoyed it. Very similar to Starbucks Sumatra. He also sent me a 50 gram can of Civet Cat coffee which I am almost afraid to try. $75 for 50 grams! Holy Cow!

anutcanfly

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 06:00:07 PM »
 "I went back to get more and it was gone!"

That occurred to me, but I can't see buying more than a pound before I've tried it.  I've bought so much bad coffee this last month I'm getting wary!  I will make a point of quickly ordering a large quantity after a positive tasting. 

I lived in S.F./Bay Area when I started drinking coffee.  Back when Peet's was just a local roaster/shop (I didn't use Peet's, as I had my own favorite I liked better than Peet's).  Finding an excellent french roast was so easy!  I was very spoiled by the time I moved out to Smallville.  Now I see rave reviews about this or that coffee, and when I try them I am appalled at how horrible they are!  I don't think of myself as coffee snob, but I do have to wonder if 95% of the population has any idea of what good coffee should taste like! 

I'm not very adventuresome with coffee.  I love it dark, thick, smooth, with little or no acidity.  My stomach can't handle black coffee any more, so it has to be beefy enough to make a latte with, without crossing the line into burnt.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:24:25 PM by anutcanfly »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 03:46:25 AM »
I think we agree on coffee. I have had great luck with Burman's I've noticed everyhting he likes I like so his reviews bode well. I do not like the flowery Kenyas but do enjoy the costa rican and columbians and really love Hawaiins but they are way to pricey for everyday coffee. I don't buy the bean over $6 and find in general most are great when they are a notdark chooclate brown and some even to the point where they begin to show signs of oil lost.

Here is the original version of the Coffee roasting eBook I will try to find the final version. May be on the computer that died a few weeks ago.

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/RoastingCoffee_files/DeejaysCoffeeBeanBasics.pdf