Author Topic: My first Jarlsberg  (Read 6951 times)

anutcanfly

Re: My first Jarlsberg
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »
Thank you!!  Have you tried Indian Monsooned Malabar in your blends?  I'm very curious about that one. 

I noticed the columbian that came with my first picks is already out of stock!

I am looking forward to trying the same coffees at different roasts, so I can find the sweet spot!  Blending is going to be a challenge.  I have lattes and my sweet drinks espresso black with a tiny amount of sugar, so I need to figure out blends for both.

Weird, but the Starbuck's espresso I bought at their store and at Costco was totally flat, their decaf espresso was fine?

I'll post after my first roast this weekend, assuming my thermometer comes.

Let me know if you run into any beans that you find a really good. Thank you for the for the ebook, I'll read it ASAP.

Anut  :)

Helen

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 04:21:10 AM »
How funny. We just got a Behmor and are getting started on roasting our own. Love it so far!

anutcanfly

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 04:34:17 AM »
Cool! We should start a coffee thread to share our experiences as we go!  Hopefully my first picture won't be a pile of charcoal!  ;D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 06:26:15 PM »
Just watch carefully and it won't be.Takes a bit of time. My Fresh Roast takes about 9 minutes. I am thinking of making a roaster for my smoker from a rotisary and some sheet metal from the hardware store. I wonder what smoked coffee beans would tate like? LOL

anutcanfly

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 02:06:56 AM »
I've heard of using a rotisserie.  Might be worth trying, and you never know, smoked coffee may be the latest new flavor sensation! 

I roasted for the first time today, and I overcorrected and the heat got away from me.  I didn't react fast enough and I over roasted the beans.  I think they are somewhere between Italian and Spanish.  I brewed a cup right away and for charcoal, not too bad.  Better than most the nasty acrid stuff I tried while searching for a new vendor!  I'll try again tomorrow and Monday before I toss it.  I opened it after it sat for awhile and there was a nice aroma forming, so who knows?  I know what I did wrong and so will be better prepared tomorrow.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »
Many people say you should wait at least 24 hours after roasting the beans before brewing to let the CO2 disapate. May tast better tomorrow. I find the darker you roast the more likely this is true. I have brewed lightly roasted beans within an hour and they were quite good but better the next day. Expresso roast which are almost burnt really need that day to breathe.

The hardest part of using the rotisery will be not really being able to see the beans. I think the metal I have is designed for a fireplace and has tiny tiny holes to prevent sparks from getting out. I tend to roast by color and smell so it should be interesting. Doesn't look to bad it really hard to tell by the picture.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 03:31:40 PM »
I keep going to this thread to check on a Jarlsberg...and I keep running into Juan Valdez and his donkey!  :)

How's the cheese?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 04:53:09 PM »
LOL  ;D  The cheese is vanishing fast.  Our new favoite! Even Juan Valdez can't concetrate on coffee while my cheese exists! That's quite a compliment!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 09:10:46 PM »
Okay no more Juan and his donkey we started a new thread for coffee.