Author Topic: My first Jarlsberg  (Read 6940 times)

anutcanfly

My first Jarlsberg
« on: December 16, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »
This will be my first swiss with holes.  Thanks to luxinboy and sailor's posts, I am hopeful this will have a good outcome.

The make went well, I made all my temp targets and pH seemed to be fine, though it got going too fast on the press so I pulled it early.

Jarlsberg    12/15/11 first make

I decided to make this cheese moist, as I want it for grilled cheese sandwiches.  Not sure why I skimmed it!  Wasn’t thinking. 

Floc x3.5

4 gallons raw Brown Swiss cow milk, Skimmed to approx 3.0%, pH 6.7
¼ tsp TA
¼ tsp LH
1/16 tsp PS
¼ tsp chymosin

Warmed milk to 92 degrees, added cultures and let sit 5 minutes.  Stirred into milk and let ripen 45 minutes.  Temp 92 degrees

Added rennet and let sit 45 minutes.  Floc 13 minutes x 3.5 = 45 minutes, temp 92 degrees

Cut the curd into navy bean size…sort of.  Let settle 5 minutes, and then stirred for 20 minutes. Temp 92 degrees and pH 6.5

Let settle 5 minutes and dipped off whey until curds were visible.  Replaced with 140-degree water until whey temp was 100 degrees. 

Returned to heat and raised temp to 108 degrees over ½ an hour.  All temps on target!  pH 6.4

Pressed under whey with 12 lbs for 10 minutes. pH 6.4

Drained whey and pressed with 25 lbs for ½ hour, pH 6.4 to 6.3

Redressed and pressed with 40 for 1 hour, pH 5.7

Redressed and pressed with 60 pounds for 45 minutes,  pH 5.4 to 5.3

Removed from press and put in brine (1150 SG) for 6 hours.

weight after brining 4 1b 3 oz--about where I wanted it...I think

Let it dry a bit and then off to the cave for a week or so.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: My first Jarlsberg
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 12:45:49 AM »
I'll be watching this with interest.

What kind of mold did you use? I've been wanting to go more vertical, but haven't found the right mold for 4 gallons.

Looks good.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 01:40:35 AM »
"The Cheesemaker" has this one, it's a steel mold 6 inch diameter and eight inches high.  I got it mainly because you can make a 6 pound cheese with it as well.

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:23:17 PM »
I got these from Spain (in stock) the ones I have do 6 gallon and even more. (I have them in many different sizes and proportions). Super heavy duty polypropylene/HDPE, industrial grade.  Sold a few to one of the forum members that has a creamery in Russia and he loves them.

anutcanfly

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 11:37:39 PM »
Sounds very nice.  Where were you when I was acquiring molds!   ;)

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 02:52:18 AM »
Yea, feel free to run by me things you need. I may be able to get you more professional stuff than the cheesemaker -probably cheaper too

anutcanfly

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 05:41:37 PM »
Will do!  :)

anutcanfly

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »
I moved my Jarlsberg back into the house and vacuum packed it.  The house temp is colder than ideal, so I'm keeping it submerged in water so I can easily maintain a temp of 70-75.  I likely be checking it far often than needed, in hopes of noticing it swell!  :)

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 12:57:42 AM »
Did this work out for you?  I think it would be difficult to get it to swell under vacuum and water pressure, no?

anutcanfly

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 04:38:47 AM »
It did swell, but not as well as I hoped.  I decided the bag was doing more harm than good (it started sweating and softening the rind) and I removed it from the bag, but I think it's done all it's going to do.  I didn't want the rind to be hard and crack.  I think I erred on the side of rind too soft to hold air.  I wouldn't have though the water would be a problem and it's great for maintaining temp. I'm going to make a baby swiss soon so I'll get another crack at.  I'll post pics in a week or so.

anutcanfly

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 06:06:56 PM »
I think this cheese has done all the swelling it's going to do.  The sides puffed out, but no swelling on the top or bottom that I can see.  This cheese is going back to the cave for further ripening until valentines day.

iratherfly

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 06:20:04 AM »
That is gorgeous!!!! Really nice shape! How big is it? It's hard to get the proportions looking at it in a photo

anutcanfly

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 05:10:20 PM »
It's a 3 3/4 pound cheese.  This my first attempt at trying to develop holes.  Knock on wood!  :)

anutcanfly

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 06:12:52 AM »
Just couldn't wait any longer.  I cut into my Jarlsberg today.  Loved it!  Great taste and texture.  I would have liked to see bigger holes, but for a first try at swiss I'm pretty happy!  ^-^

I also learned a few things.  This was the cheese I was complaining about as it developed a very stinky rind.  There was no sign of that stink in the finished cheese. 

This was also one of the first cheese I used cream wax on.  I know it breaths as the non-toxic water marker I used soaked right thru and colored the cheese.  I've only been applying one coat so they could breath, and that seems to be working well.   Also, the cream wax peeled off, so I didn't lose any rind.  :)

Having just made a loaf of potato rosemary bread, I had to try my new cheese.  They paired beautifully!   :P

Happy Dance!

JeffHamm

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 06:46:34 AM »
Nice looking result!  I think in smaller cheeses you have to go for smaller eyes, like you have.  Larger eyes would probably cause the cheese to split.  Now, that being said, I've never made a swiss and I'm just rattling off what I recall being talked about a while back.  I'm sure you've looked into those threads a lot more closely than I, so, I'll stop now.  Looks great though.  And the bread sounds good too.  Yum!

- Jeff