Author Topic: Fetta- Sour taste?  (Read 987 times)

Crystal

Fetta- Sour taste?
« on: December 16, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »
Hi guys,
I'm very new to cheese making and this is my second fetta, but my first was using P&H milk, this was un-homoginised. The first was delicious, used the same recipe both times. But it was softer and creamier. This one has a slightly sour taste. It was dry salted and the book says its done after 3ish days. it is only day two but im not a fan of the sourness. Did i perhaps leave a step too long? The renneting maybe? Would that give a sour taste?

I dont have a ph meter so i kinda just wing it. I plan to use the flocc method for the next one but dont want that sour taste. Anything else i should try to avoid it?

boothrf

Re: Fetta- Sour taste?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 10:44:29 PM »
Hi Crystal,

Too much rennet can give a sour taste, did you use the same amount per litre of milk this time? I think your renetting time was 40 minutes, so I don't believe that would be a problem.

Also, milk that is old, or left sitting around warm can lead to developement of unwanted sour flavours.

I assume you used the same amount and type of ripening culture?

Bob

Crystal

Re: Fetta- Sour taste?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 07:51:55 AM »
Hi bob,
Thanks, i did use the same starter, milk got home from the shop ten minutes before i started making.

Rennet was 1/2 tablet, for 8L wich is what i used last time.

So did i maybe leave too long to cut? Using the flocc method should help eliminate this issue?