Author Topic: Figs..?  (Read 8299 times)

Crystal

Re: Figs..?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 09:38:56 AM »
Really Boofer..? Rinds?? Sounds gross!

george

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 09:54:18 AM »

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 07:02:05 PM »
Stuff a little blue cheese into the fig. Wrap with prosciutto and pin with a toothpick. Pop in the oven for a bit to warm the fig and melt the bleu. Great snack or appetizer.

Crystal

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Sounds easy enough but im damn sure the kids would gag if i tried to make them eat it! LOL, i might too... i dont really 'do' blue cheese... I was kinda looking for a way to keep the figs really, we get sooooo many!

Damn, the bloody birds stole the very first ripe tomato i had!! This garden is such a nightmare... Between birds, snails, possums, aphids, caterpillars and kids we have yet to get anything except 2 beetroots that made it into the kitchen!

iratherfly

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 02:56:34 AM »
Sounds delicious Sailor

Crystal

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 04:35:31 AM »
OK, i have been thinking, i can make fruit leathers with some of the figs, and jam with some more, maybe just dry a few as well and ill keep thinking of other ways i can use them!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 06:02:39 AM »
Sounds easy enough but im damn sure the kids would gag if i tried to make them eat it! LOL, i might too... i dont really 'do' blue cheese... I was kinda looking for a way to keep the figs really, we get sooooo many!

Damn, the bloody birds stole the very first ripe tomato i had!! This garden is such a nightmare... Between birds, snails, possums, aphids, caterpillars and kids we have yet to get anything except 2 beetroots that made it into the kitchen!
Crystal, I have to say, you are definitely a fresh voice on this forum. I enjoy reading your delightful entries.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Crystal

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 07:44:47 AM »
hmm, are you trying to say i talk to much Boofer..? ;-)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 07:07:48 AM »
hmm, are you trying to say i talk to much Boofer..?  ;)  ;-)  ;)
LOL...heavens, no.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

keezawitch

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »
oh i looove figs, yours are the white  variety, very popular, i prefer the black ones, have you though of having a stall and selling them, maybe a local fruit and veg shop would buy them. Did you know you can use the leaf in place of rennet, dont leave in milk long will go bitter, so you see  figs and cheese go hand in hand. There are a lot of recipes that use figs, also poach really well in the microwave. I am trying to get a good size tree to put in, hard to get. Pity you dont like them as they are wonderful with a spoonful of quark and a sprinkle of raw sugar, god i better go I am drooling on the computer

keezawitch

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 09:16:06 AM »
you can also freeze them, if you freeze them use them in cooking like jams, cakes, sauces etc. To freeze them just toss them in a plastic bag and pop in the freezer.

Crystal

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »
Oh, our council would NOT like a fruit and veg stall, even on my property... It might deter from the perferctly manicured lawns and ornamental gardens in our neighbourhood... Hmm, i have plenty of baby trees all over the yard, have given a few away already! Keeza, you live like an hour away! Bring me milk and you can take a few trees!!

Im interested in the fig/rennet thing though!!?? How do i do that?

keezawitch

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 08:34:25 PM »
we will do a swap happily, are you home during the week? or weekends better, as for the stall, schools back what about asking the school if you set up a little stall where the parents walk in tell them you will donate say 5-10% to the school, can't hurt to try, you could sell jams also at the same time. Only work out if you dont have other commitment at that time though, some of the local churchs have a stall day to you could try the same theory with them, Don't council XXXX you, some are really up themselves. Fortunately here they are a bit better, this area has been growing stone fruit and grapes since inception and i dont think the council would dare interfer, they also have a few councilors living in this suburb.

Crystal

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 03:12:01 AM »
Um, well, the jams and things being sold does raise the council issue. Did you know its ILLEGAL to sell prepared food without a council permit, and a thorough inspection from health and saftey. Regulation kitchens must be maintained and you must have a HACCP qualification. I have the qualifications, im a chef, well, was... but all the other stuff is monitored closely. They will turn a blind eye on occasion to charity stalls, but other than that they are nasty!

Anyway, yes i am home. on the very rare occasion that im not, some one is always here! I have a nanny whos here all week and DH works from home so there is always someone here!

keezawitch

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 03:39:02 AM »
Yes well I know you need licence for some things but didnt realise it applied to the jam stall thing, I have asked a lot of the people who have them at the local markets and they said no, so thought it was ok. I wouldnt mind getting the certificates but for me at the moment its the time and cost. I have a couple of things I have to work out - re: getting there, not sure if I will be able to drive there, sooooo as soon as I have worked it out I will get in touch and we can work out trade and time, thanks :)