Author Topic: My first Traditional Cheddar.  (Read 15366 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My first Traditional Cheddar.
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2012, 04:13:59 PM »
The Cheddar has landed.  No problems at customs.  Just had to declare it.  Vac pac'ing it for the trip was a good idea too (they ask how it is packaged, and vac. sealing is something they like).  It's holding up well.  The kids are doing great, though Gregor was a bit of a screamer near the end of the 13 hour flight to Vancouver.  But, he was good all day, but hard to get to sleep.  Just starting our day.  Will see how that goes.  The flights to Toronto and then Halifax will be interesting.  They are not night flights, so he'll be awake for them.  Eeep.

- Jeff

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2012, 11:26:17 PM »
Well if you decide to stop down and visit your southern neighbors in the Great Northwest come and see me!!  Merry Christmas to you and yours and a Very Happy New Year.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

JeffHamm

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2012, 06:46:01 PM »
Hi,

Well, we cut this on it's birthday and it's done well.  There are very few mechanical openings, and the taste is good.  Has good texture, and as it has been waxed for most of it's life, it still has more moisture than you might expect after a year.  Will be sharing this around as family comes and visits, so it won't last long I suspect.  Nice.

- Jeff

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2012, 07:04:32 PM »
Well done. A nice looking cheese.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

bbracken677

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »
Great job, Jeff!  A cheese for you for a great cheddar, specially one which is now international!! 

edit: changed "not international" to "now internationa"l...which was my intent...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:00:11 PM by bbracken677 »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2012, 02:22:26 PM »
Nice job, Jeff. You said taste was good. Was it tangy, salty, creamy? How's the texture? Firm but flexible, as opposed to weak and crumbly?

A cheese to you for waiting for the cheese to develop all its wondrous cheesiness.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »
Thanks!  The texture is firm, but flexible.  I can cut it very thin, and it holds together.  A bit creamy mouth feel.  It doesn't really have the bite of an aged cheddar, but then, it's only a year old not 3 to 5.  Not salty, but not milky, somewhere beyond mild cheddar, perhaps medium?  Just made some grilled cheese sandwiches and it works well in those.  Will make another one of these I think, or two, and have one ready to go into status for a few years. 

- Jeff