Author Topic: My Sourdough, from scratch  (Read 31563 times)

anutcanfly

Re: My Sourdough, from scratch
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2012, 01:47:47 AM »
Thanks!  ;D

Crystal

« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2012, 09:46:33 PM »
Just so you know, we did a nice oat no knead the other day and served it with my fresh spiced fig butter that i made ;) Delicious!

Tomer1

« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2012, 11:28:59 PM »
I was on a trip with my dad and older brother this week to watch some ancient building sites and see some white snowy peaks.   
My brother bought several styles of local goat tommes and I made some bread.
I went with a fairly high hydration dough (80%) which is essentially a chiabeta , 15% of the total flour was a liquid lavin sourdough and 30% of the total final dough was whole wheat.   It was a terrific batard.
I did alot of folding to develope the gluten during fermentation and it was very nice to work with.

anutcanfly

« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2012, 11:31:39 PM »
That sounds wonderful Crystal!  :P  I'm getting ready to pop a potato dill, and sourdough bread in the oven today.  I'm getting quite spoiled.  How did you like your figs?  I so envy you that!  I adore figs, but it's going to be very challenging to grow them here!

Yours sound tasty too Tomer1.  Between homemade bread and cheese I have yet to lost much weight this winter!  ::)

First loaf is done, but I'm going to postpone the other until later.   This is one of the strangest looking loaves I've ever made! I made the slash marks but after that...??? Maybe the tapioca flour I finished it with browns faster...  Tastes great!  Make a note, add 4 x as much dill as you think you need!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:43:41 AM by anutcanfly »

Crystal

« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2012, 09:42:51 PM »
Sounds like a great weekend Tomer!

And i agree anut, that is truly the weirdest looking bread ive ever seen. Hope it tasted good though? Im not making bread today, but have the milk for a fetta, so will get that started a bit later, Im on a mission to get some stuff sewn for my etsy shop, since i am always so busy with other things it gets neglected, and i have the morning free of the baby twins, so its sewing time!

Oh, the figs are 'ok' but that could just be cos i dont really like them.,. I dont know if the butter should be brown like fig jam usually is... I have white figs... But mines kinda green butter, so it doesnt look that good... Any one else know what it should look like when made with white figs?
Also, to about 2L of the butter i added 1tsp of lemon juice at the end and the lemon is quite strong in the flavour. Im hoping it will fade a little, but i have no idea!

anutcanfly

« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2012, 10:44:55 PM »
The lemon is likely to stay...  Good luck with your feta!  Free time from the little ones and your going to sew?  That doesn't sound fun... but then sewing is surrounded by lot's of cussing when it's me operating that darn machine!

Crystal

« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2012, 08:04:15 PM »
Oh, i like to sew, i get fully absorbed in it and forget to eat most the time! And i did sew too. Managed 13 new items for my shop!

Its ok, i dont mind the lemon flavour!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2012, 08:18:30 PM »
Awsome ladies what time is lunch?

anutcanfly

« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2012, 11:55:14 PM »
A lunch on line... that could get brutal as we wave favorite dishes under each others noses!  Of course, we kinda do that anyway!  >:D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2012, 03:04:48 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

No knead bread from the new york times... sounds like normal bread to me, but for lazy people...

LOL well texturally speaking it is different - much lighter if done right. Not all bread requires kneading but some days it's just fun to knead dough!

Corina

« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2012, 07:09:29 AM »
How nice to find such a topic here where is all cheese! ;)
I also make sourdough bread, I love whole grain mixes, we cannot eat bought bread anymore, lacks the taste.
Some of my forst breads. I have to perfect my scoring , that is a hard thing. >:(
http://family.webshots.com/photo/2002749850099273441iewHNn

Crystal

« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2012, 09:27:30 AM »
Kewl! Debi, lunch here is between 12 and 2, depending on how old you are! Every one is always welcome!

I just poped in to say i have thrown together a batch of raisin bread no-knead fashion for cooking tomorrow. I do need a bit of cinnamon in it still as i just found it on the bench and realised i havent put it in the bread LOL! No matter, i'll work it in tomorrow!

I personally dont eat raisin bread, but kids here LOVE it! Ive also got a new recipe for finger buns, which i will do this week, and i found a recipe for crumpets and gave DH instructions to buy egg rings. hmm, OH yeah i got a flour tortilla recipe too! Oh, and 'fetta' didnt happen, DH drank half the milk i had!! So he will be getting more and i'll have to do it the next day since bread and cheese dont mix!

Well, thats me for now ;)

anutcanfly

« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »
When you said scoring, do you mean slashing the top before baking?  I bought a sashimi knife for cutting fish and rolls, but is also works beautifully for slashing bread--It's very sharp!

The no knead bread I'm making is denser than traditionally made bread, but the flavors are great and it's so much easier/convenient.  Besides, I kinda like dense breads with chewy crusts.   

Tomer1

« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2012, 06:03:50 PM »
Overly dense suggest that you might be over proofing it and it eventually collapses.
The whole idea is developing very airly light loaf.

anutcanfly

« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2012, 07:10:38 PM »
I don't proof it at all.  I let it sit out for 2 hours, and then I throw in the refrigerator and forget about for 4-6 days.  Then I mix in 2 teaspoon of baking soda (I don't do this if I want sourdough) and shape the loaf and let it sit out a few hours until it has doubled in size.  I poke every now and then so I don't accidently leave it rising too long.  Often, if I'm hungry, I don't wait nearly long enough before baking and I like to add things that make for a toothsome, but more heavy loaf.

There are a lot of us out there who don't care for airbread.  The point in making bread is to enjoy the process and love eating the results.  If I want airbread i'll go the store and buy Wonder Bread.   

I stopped baking bread  because it was hurting my forearm to knead for 20 minutes and I had to be constantly vigil to make sure it was punched down at the right times through out the day.  I wasn't having fun.  Now it's fun and I'm getting awesome flavors with the extended ferments and a much more digestible product.  Not the least, I'm getting sourdoughs far more sour than I was ever able to get the traditional way.  :)