Author Topic: My Sourdough, from scratch  (Read 30560 times)

anutcanfly

Re: My Sourdough, from scratch
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2011, 09:21:26 PM »
Hi Crystal,

The site "Breadtopia" and "King Arthur Flour" have no knead recipes.  I'm going to start one of them today.  My wrists/forearms hurt these days, no knead would make it easier to have bread more often.

Crystal

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2011, 10:40:33 PM »
I know how you feel anut, my sholder will thank me for not kneading for a while. I actually spent yesterday afternoon making rice heat packs to soothe the pain in my sholder. I will take a look at the sites you mentioned and see if they have some more inspiring recipes...

Crystal

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2011, 11:23:25 PM »
OK, i have made my no-knead bread. I had trouble using the stand mixer. The dough kept winding all the way up the dough hooks and it WOULD NOT mix properly. So in the end i had to use a wooden spoon. I used the starter i had left in it too. I wasnt sure how much water to use with the starter so i kinda guessed and nearly used what the recipe said for water anyway. I'll just have a very sticky dough but dont think it'll matter all that much! Any way, its sitting on the bench doing its thing right now and ill make it tomorrow morning. I might do 2 loaves tomorrow, one on a tray and one in the covered dish i have... see how they go!

Tomer1

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2011, 12:56:42 AM »
Perhaps adjust the depth of your hook.

anutcanfly

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2011, 01:32:02 AM »
The covered dish method works well... throw in a couple tablespoons of water and you get a nice chewy crust.  I'm going to try cook mine on a pizza stone (haven't used it for bread yet) and throw water on bottom of the oven.  Good Luck Crystal!  :)

Tomer1

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2011, 02:05:20 AM »
I use an atomizer to spray water before and after the bread goes in and its enough to facilitate for good rise and crust formation.

The idea is to not have the crust harden too fast in which case its unable to stretch, same as with swiss - it needs to be soft enough to contain the gas without cracking.

anutcanfly

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2011, 03:10:33 AM »
I was going to try a sprayer, but I think I would end up cracking my pizza stone!

dthelmers

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2011, 05:47:59 AM »
I've not had good success with the no knead breads on the pizza stone -  it tended to stick every time we've tried it. Maybe more corn meal on the stone would have been in order? Or perhaps the man-made ceramic stones that we used weren't the best for this? Anybody having a success with these with stones? I sometimes think that a glazed quarry tile might work better.

Tomer1

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2011, 01:01:35 PM »
Pizza doughs are usually low hydration doughs (50-60%), most no kneads are high in hydration. (70-85%)
So you might try to add tons of flour to your no knead base to get it dry.

Regarding the stone, Just dont spray directly on it.

anutcanfly

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2011, 05:36:29 PM »
Parchment paper should solve the stick problem.  I was going to use a pizza stone to put the bread on and fire bricks in the shelf above it.  I'm working with wheat that I didn't like much anyway (whole white wheat) so it won't hurt my feelings if it's a total disaster... I post the results with pic's.  :)

Tomer1

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »
I always use a paper, cleaning a stone is just too much of a hassle if you got any accidental sticking.

But still high hydration pizza dough will turn out saggy-soggy without some major heat (much more then the 300c my oven can put out) to quickly bake the dough and dry the sauce (I normally go basic italian style with grated tomatos ,olive oil ,garlic salt and b.pepper)

anutcanfly

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2011, 06:48:28 PM »
I've had good luck so far with the pizza stone, I preheat at 500 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour and prepare the pizza on a pizza screen.  Cooks in 15 minutes and is never soggy.  Just to be safe, I like to brush a light layer of oil or pesto on the dough before any sauce goes on. 

I made a much stiffer dough for the no knead.. I don't like my bread to spread out!

Tomer1

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2011, 09:40:01 PM »
15 minutes sound a bit too much,even for a thicker pie style of pizza. I make mine NY style mostly so I dont go completly carb overdosed :)
Maybe skip the screen and go stright on top of the stone, you want that direct conduction of heat - browning the bottom of your pizza. 

Crystal

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2011, 09:56:56 PM »
ok, i have blobbed out my no knead, kinda smooshed it a bit, then squashed it into a ball! Hope this is what its meant to look like!?

Tomer, my stand mixer isnt adjustable... It's ok, though, i dont mind stirring.

I love pizza, but im not overly fussy about how i make it. I dont have a pizza stone, i get the dough ready on baking paper, heat the trays then slide it on! Whack it in for a bit till its cooked. No-ones complained yet. I usually brush or spray a bit of oil onto the top of the dough, just in case...

anut, where do i 'throw' the water? lol

Im not sure if my no knead is 'stiff' or soft for a no knead... it just is what it is and if i have trouble ill adjust for next time i suppose!

Oh, ive been meaning to ask, does anyone know a decent recipe for Turkish Bread?? Is it some guarded secret I'm not meant to know? I cant for the life of me find one thats even similar to the chewy, airy bread the turkish bakery here makes!

anutcanfly

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2011, 09:58:36 PM »
10 minutes when I do a thin crust.  I did a sourdough thin crust last time... very good! 

Me? Skip the screen?  :o Obviously you have not seen me in action! I'm a disaster waiting to happen!  I would be peeling what was left off the back of my oven!  ::)  The pizza screen does surprisingly well at allowing your crust to brown and my pizza stays hale and whole.  :)