Author Topic: My Sourdough, from scratch  (Read 30558 times)

anutcanfly

Re: My Sourdough, from scratch
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
Where you throw the water depends on what method your going to use.  In a covered dish the water would go inside with the dough... 2- 4 tablespoons should do--I've done this successfully many times.  If uncovered you can spray the loaf directly and or throw water on the bottom of the oven.  The latter may not work if you oven vents too much.  I haven't tried that yet on mine, so I can't vouch for it.  I'm going try with this loaf, as well as spraying the loaf prior to placing on stone.

Crystal

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2011, 10:34:18 PM »
I usually put a little dish of boiling water in the bottom of the oven, though i usually do open loaves, so i'll throw some in the covered dish and see how it goes!

Tomer1

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2011, 11:08:31 PM »
Oh turkish Ekmek (which translates simply to = bread) is great,
The one I know is a high hydration (80-85%) flat bread like chiabbata made with sourdough (liquid levin) which make up a large percentage of the flour. (I think around 40-50%)

Tomer, my stand mixer isnt adjustable...
Sure its not, the hook is, there should be a screw and a nut.

Crystal

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2011, 01:25:21 AM »
Any thing that resembles the turkish bread we have here will do Tomer. And yes, there is no screw, nut or anyhting to adjust...

Just pulled my no knead out the oven, and i tried it cos i couldnt wait till it cooled!

I think next time i do it i might use more dough, as the loaf isnt very high, also a bit more water to stop the cracks. The crust is VERY crunchy, which is great! Um, other than that its light, airy, doesnt taste at all yeasty. Perhaps the air bubbles are a bit large and random, dont know how to change that though!

anutcanfly

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2011, 01:41:40 AM »
Looks good! So what recipe did you use?

dttorun

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2011, 02:09:42 AM »
Oh turkish Ekmek (which translates simply to = bread) is great,
The one I know is a high hydration (80-85%) flat bread like chiabbata made with sourdough (liquid levin) which make up a large percentage of the flour. (I think around 40-50%)

This is called as pide (flat bread) and has yogurt and/or milk in the dough with egg wash plus sprinkled nigella (black cumin) and or sesame seeds on top. Here is a picture.
Tan

Tomer1

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2011, 02:14:50 AM »
This is what I was talking about,
I would have guessed it to be a lean dough , nothing with eggs or yogurt.
Interesting...

Crystal

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2011, 02:22:55 AM »
anut, i used the new york times one, but added in just over a cup of the sourdough starter i had left. Its great, im eating it now for lunch with vegemite and my farmhouse cheddar! Sooooo, good!

Tomer, yes, Pide is the same thing, and yes i knew it had egg and yoghurt in it, but none of the recipes i have tried have really been 'right'... Most are incorrectly cooked i suppose so the chewy, bubbly texture isnt there, and thats the bit i wanted! Guess i will simply have to keep trying! I know the turkish shop near me cooks their bread in a gas pizza oven, ive seen them do it!

Tomer1

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2011, 03:52:10 AM »
I think the bread I made today is exacly that, It had huge holes in the bottom and was very chewy with a nice tasty crust on top and yeasty note.

I used 20% whole wheat, 1% dry yeast and 85% water,2% sugar,2% salt.
Hydrate the flour for 30-60 minutes with cold water and mix in yeast,sugar and salt.
Let it ferment for about... 12 hours in a cold room,  Fold it every now and then to strengthen the gluten stracture.
Oil some paper and slap the dough into it streching it to shape ,cover with oil of your choice ,let proof for 1 hour and deflate with your fingers the middle while the outside is kept risen.
Bake for about 20min at 200-210c.

Crystal

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2011, 04:39:13 AM »
Sounds about right tomer cept turkish bread is always white. I should give it a try with this no knead dough, just add in a bit of yoghurt and press it flat on the paper, brush with egg and put sesame seeds on top. Id also put a big dish of water in the bottom of the oven as the bread is very moist and doesnt really have a crust at all... its soft and chewy right through...? any thoughts?

Tomer1

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2011, 04:56:49 AM »
No need for steam with such a bread.

Crystal

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2011, 05:38:26 AM »
how do we stop it from going crusty then tomer?

Tomer1

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2011, 01:50:49 PM »
You dont, you want it crusty and because its a flat bread it really doesnt matter since it doesnt rise like a loaf.

The hardness of the crust will be determined by oven heat and duration of baking, Preheat the oven and the moment you put it in lower the temp to 190-200c if you want it soft and very moist\spongy.

Steam (along with slushing the bread) is another measure to prevent "blow outs" as you can see here

The gas (by the rapid dying of yeast) produces internal pressure,if the crust hardens too early the bread cant facilitate the gas and a weak spot blows (sort of like a safty valve  ^-^

Crystal

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2011, 07:15:45 PM »
righty-oh then Tomer... Guess i'll just have to give it a shot wont I. I have to use up the rest of my no knead first, whichisnt hard. We ate the entire loaf for lunch yesterday!

anut, did you make yours yet?

anutcanfly

« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2011, 07:31:19 PM »
No, not yet.  Today is cheese making day.  I'm working on a blue Wensleydale.  I'll let the dough hang out in the fridge until tomorrow.  Hope my starter was in good enough shape.  Normally I hedge by adding some yeast as well, but this time I'm using 1/3 cup starter at 100% hydration and no additional yeast.  I'll post the results... good, bad or ugly!  :)