Author Topic: My Sourdough, from scratch  (Read 31422 times)

Crystal

Re: My Sourdough, from scratch
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2012, 08:15:42 PM »
The cleaner is made from the peels, the cordial from the juice! I got the idea on another forum. You just 3/4 fill a jar with vinegar, and add peels till its full. Just the rind though. Then let it sit for 2 weeks on the window sill, strain, dilute 50/50 with vinegar and spray away! I love the smell, and it cleans really well! And its safe for everything and every one, and it cost about 50c for the vinegar and peels, the peels would have gone in the bin if i dodnt use them cos i cant compost them!

anutcanfly

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2012, 12:37:05 AM »
Cool! Great idea for cleaning!  I'm very sensitive to most cleaners and clorox.  The chemicals or the scents use to hide the chemicals make me feel ill and give my a headache.

I don't think I've ever had orange cordial...sounds yummy.

Crystal

« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2012, 08:10:58 PM »
I was lazy with the cordial, cos i have to juice 3kg of oranges by hand i havent done it yet. LOL, i have 20 'naked' oranges on the bench still. I'll get to it today though! You really should try this cleaner then anut, its chem free and you can use it on stainless and glass. You just use a flannel cloth to polish it afterwards. But it works on plastic, wood, and everything else. It repels fog on glass, great for mirrors and shower screens! Also, its so easy to make. It took me 10 mins to peel the oranges, shove them in a jar and cover with vinegar! This would be really good for you!

Orange cordial is easy... I think ill post it on my blog today when i make it and i'll link back here k.

anutcanfly

« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2012, 08:35:32 PM »
Yes, I think I will try that!

If you want save some effort juicing the oranges, throw them in a big bucket and just mash them enough so they are mostly wet.  Add some pectic enzyme and let it sit a day or two.   It will break down the pulp for you and free the juice. Then you can pour it through a straining bag. 

Ignore me if you already knew this!  :)

Tomer1

« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2012, 11:21:18 PM »
That method will extract large amount of bitter tasting phenols.
Ive seen a commerical enzyme used to "seperate" the celulose layer from the fruit creating effortless supremes.

anutcanfly

« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2012, 01:16:24 AM »
 ???  Interesting... I've been using it for the last 2 decades and never had a problem with bitterness from using pectic enzyme, or bitterness period.  I wasn't just a once in a while user either.  I was making 75 gallons a year of plum and berry wines for at least one of those decades.  Are you speaking from personal experience or relaying info you've read??

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »
I'm afraid I cheat big time. I just make sure all the bitter pith is off the citrus fruit, chuck the fruit into the processor and blitz, then strain it through wet muslin. It's a bit cloudy, but who cares?

anutcanfly

« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2012, 06:03:44 PM »
Depends on what you're doing, a processor was never an option for me.  I was pressing fruit and almost everything I was working with had seeds which would be bitter if broken.  Also, even though berries mash well, it's not the same as actual separation of juice and pulp.  The first time I made blackberry wine I did not have good separation of juice and pulp.  The press bag burst and I had berry on the ceiling, walls and all the way over to the door to the kitchen.  I said a few choice words I won't repeat!  >:(  It took 2 coats of sealer and 2 coats of paint to finally cover it.  :)

Tomer1

« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »
???  Interesting... I've been using it for the last 2 decades and never had a problem with bitterness from using pectic enzyme, or bitterness period.  I wasn't just a once in a while user either.  I was making 75 gallons a year of plum and berry wines for at least one of those decades.  Are you speaking from personal experience or relaying info you've read??

Im talking about citrus not berrys or stone fruits.
The white part of orange,mandarin,clemntine and so on... it has alot of bitter phenols.
perhaps its less apearent when the juice is sweet but if fermented it makes really bad fruit wine which is undrinkable without backsweetening. 
I made some mandarin-organe wine and had to turn it all to vinegar since it was too bitter even after using various fining agents to reduce phenolics.

Crystal

« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2012, 09:03:47 PM »
Well, i'll stick to my 20yo hand juicer boat thing that my MIL gave me! Its free after all! Plus, i'll employ any one of the 6 kids or DH to juice for me when my sholder starts to hurt! LOL!

Im a stickler for old fashioned ways lol, except kneading bread!

Oh, cordial is wonderful according to the kids! DS11 says its the nicest one yet! I will get the post up today as i ran out of time yesterday... theres NEVER enough time for me...

Crystal

« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2012, 10:31:46 PM »
OK anut, i finally got the recipe up:

http://worldofminecg.blogspot.com/2012/01/homemade-orange-cordial-recipe.html

Hope you do make it, its very yum!

anutcanfly

« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2012, 03:28:00 AM »
Ohh Okay Tomer, I understand what you meant now.  I haven't worked with oranges yet, so I'll keep your warning in mind.

Thanks Crystal.  It will be fun.  Hopefully I can find some oranges on sale.

Crystal

« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2012, 09:28:45 AM »
Good anut, You can make lemon, or any other fruit. Apple, raspberry, lime, or something else. Mango, pineapple...lol, i like cordial. Its a gret way to use up lots of fruit. I love making fruit leathers too ;) Oh, ive had my nanny back all week but i havent had time for anything. Damn the school holidays. I didnt even get in a loaf of no knead bread! I need to do a cheese next week. Thinking caerphilly...

anutcanfly

« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
This has been a great month for awesome prices on pears (25 cents a pound).  My dehydrator is going non-stop!  My orchard should be producing a good amount of fruit this year or next.  So I'll have my own fruit to play with soon.  Can't wait to start making hard cider.   ^-^  I have a weak spot for roll ups too.  :P  Caerphilly is a good first choice for an empty cave... I just can't believe how a 5 week old cheese could taste so good!

Crystal

« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2012, 09:09:25 PM »
MMM, wish i had more room to grow fruit! I really have a terrible block for a back yard, its built on rock, with a lovely big natural rock wall cutting it into two levels that are about 3m wide each... plus the back fence has some giant turpentines growing along it, so not only is the ground full of rocks, most the yard is also shadey! I do have an orange tree, a mandarin tree and a lemon, so far 3 mandies, once, in 2 years... Figs grow well, as youve heard, but man, i want real fruit!

Pears make good roll ups, with a berry. I did apple and strawberry last week, all gone now. Done banana and mango too.

Caerphilly seems easy enough so thats why i chose it! Cant wait to do it. Tuesday i think will work!