Author Topic: My Sourdough, from scratch  (Read 30562 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: My Sourdough, from scratch
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 02:02:29 AM »
Lol, tomer, you make it all sound so hard... my dad is a baker, and im a chef and im baking homestyle bread for kids and a husband who thinks mcdonalds is heaven on earth! And i have a sholder injury and no time to worry about hydration percentages lol. One day i'll want really good bread but for now i just want something a little different to plain 'ol white! But ive always kneaded, i remember my dad kneading away at 4am on his days off, but i need a no knead in my life!

Oh, boofer, i do have a similar recipe to what u mentioned, but its kneaded too! Principle is the same at te start to let it ferment 18hrs though. Actually, they call it a sourdough... but its not cos it uses the yeast starter i just made!
We're not worthy...
we're not worthy
...  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Crystal

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 07:49:19 AM »
Tomer- dont know that my budget allows for south african dutch ovens... perhaps a substitute?

the casserole i have is oven proof and has a lid..! ;-)

Boofer... huh..?

boothrf

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 08:01:05 AM »
Hey Crystal,

I think they are talking about something like a cast iron camp oven. You can pick these up cheap at camping stores like Rays. They are mostly made in China now, but still quite sutable for home use. Alternatively, you might have some cast iron, enamelled cookware like Le Crueset or Chasseur in your kitchen (or even the garage... ha ha).  Have a look here for some photos of camp ovens.

http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/Furphy%20Ovens2.JPG

Good luck!  :)

Crystal

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 09:10:37 AM »
Right, think id rather knead my bread for free guys! Especially since DH jus bought me a stand mixer for christmas! He wants more food and is sick of hearing about my sholder hurting from kneading, mixing, whipping and stirring ;-)

boothrf

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 09:31:01 AM »
Lucky you!  :)

DH ??

Tomer1

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 01:21:20 PM »
Thos are the traditional dutch ovens, I have one for camping and its extremly fun and tasty.  You can even warm smoke in it using some tin foil,chips and tea leaves and I improvised a metal rack to place the meat on

I also have a smaller ovel (1.5-2L) and an even smaller one (600-700 gr) which is perfect for day to day bread portions which my brother took and uses almost daily.

Crystal

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 07:30:07 PM »
Bob DH is 'dear husband'...

O might take a look at them then, theres a camping store near here that should have them. Id really like to try a no knead bread but guess ill be kneading for christmas.

I do have a question about the starter tho, how often should i feed it if its not in the fridge?

Tomer1

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »
Daily if not twice daily really if left out, espacially since your dealing with a yeast starter.  commerical yeast consume sugars very quickly and efficiently.

why not refrigirate?

I use and refrigirate a very small amount of stiff starter ,perhaps 100-150 grams so im conserving flour.

A day before make I take 50-100 grams for preferment, feed the mother by about doubling the volume and return it to the fridge. 

Every few weeks I refreash the mother completly when it smells too sour and is broken up (extremly over ripen).

Crystal

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 08:34:56 PM »
I have been feeding it daily, but everyone says to leave it out for about a week at first... maybe i shouldnt?

I can easily put it in the fridge!

Also, i was under the impression that your starter just kept going.... and going... i didnt think you had to replace it completely?

Tomer1

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 09:45:07 PM »
Once you reached prime activity (doubling in volume,alot of co2 bubbles) it can only go down hill from there.
There some complex bio-chemical stuff going on,
Basically If you leave it going without feeding your dealing with two big factors:
A)starving it  (cannot generate energy and multiply)
B)over acidify it and start killing it (enviroment too hostile)

boothrf

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 09:48:59 PM »
Hey Crystal,

I thought DH was dear husband, but it does stand for something else that my wife occasionally calls me..... ;)

Crystal

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 11:34:23 PM »
Right, ill fridge this starter, use it sat then use up the rest then make a new one.

Funny Bob, your wife and i have something in common... ;-) i believe in most cases the two terms are interchangeable...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 06:48:56 AM »
Boofer... huh..?
It just seemed like you had a pretty good handle on everything...and it was all working for you...and all this advice was rolling in...that's all.  ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Crystal

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 09:02:43 AM »
Lol, boofer, i have no idea what im doing! Chefs dont make bread or cheese ora million other things that mums have to make! Now i could make a mean beef wellington with red wine jus, perfectly turned potatoes and jullienne vegetables... but te kids wouldnt know what to do with it. And dad has no idea, bakeries are such controlled environments that the variables of home dont matter there! Plus, i dont ask for his advice because i dont really lkke him all that much.

Lol, so, i have no idea what im doing and if i seem to ignore advice its only because im too lazy to follow it! I dont ever mean to seem rude, im just naturally lacking in good people skills!

Tomer1

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »
Same as in cheesemaking, its all about practice and gaining expirience.