Author Topic: My Sourdough, from scratch  (Read 30562 times)

Crystal

Re: My Sourdough, from scratch
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »
Thats right Tomer, learning in theory does not teach you any practical skills...

iratherfly

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2011, 05:40:04 AM »
Sorry for dumping all that no-knead bread on you guys and then disappearing without the proper support... I was out for a few days.

Crystal, you don't need to go so far. You either need an oven-proof pot with lid (I often use my 4 Liter All-Clad for that) or a covered baking dish such as those cast iron, enameled, stoneware or German style clay bakeware (Romertopf). I have even used Pyrex and Anchor glassware! It all works (though stoneware, enameled, cast iron and clay are best).  One more thing to remember is that this is a highly hydrated dough so it's kind of wet and sticky. The loaf will take up some of the shape of the pot so don't get something too big like 8 Liter dish because it will spread all over the large bottom and you will have a low flat loaf. 4 to 5½ liter is perfect. Oval dish will give you a batard style bread. Round dish will give you a boule.

You said something earlier in the thread that

Maybe our yeasts are different stregnths as my tin says  2tsp for 500gm flour... so thats 1dsp for 3.3cups flour. These are Australian conversions too...
Nope, I know it sounds odd and it's hard to believe it works but you heard it right. 1/4 teaspoon for 3-4 cups flour. You would not believe how well it works. Just follow the recipe and give it its time.  This is also why this bread doesn't smell or taste all yeasty. I was surprised too when I began doing it and didn't believe it because up until then I used to knead breads and use 1 tablespoon for a loaf made with 4 cups of flour. the yeast here is just a "starter" if you will. Once it kicks in it begins to propagate like crazy and you get this bubbly sticky dough ...unreal!

Tomer1

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2011, 06:22:26 PM »
"consumer" recipes always exaturate the amount of yeast needed since they relay on very quick and powerful co2 production to substitute for improper\lack of sufficient kneading (because most people are lazy) and the abillity to quick get the bread into the oven. 
Traditional Old school sourdough bread takes almost an entire day to preper.

-In the afternoon when the bakery closes down after selling out, the baker uses the preferment to mix another batch in a huge bread tub\bath which he ferments "over night" , he goes home and returns at about at about 1-2 am for another day.
He turns the oven heat again (which now is fairly cold and runs on remaining ambers) with new wood,
Deflates the dough which has now risen and developed goodness , portions it and shape it into 2-4 hours of proofing (depending on how cold the room is) and by 5-6am he has his first loafs ready for sell.

Being a baker is hard life :)

Crystal

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2011, 07:42:50 PM »
Great, ill use less yeast from now on. Not that i mind the yeasty taste! Its kinda my fav part! But saving a.few cents each loaf will be great! Ive got starter left to use today for my fake sourdough then may make a 'proper' one. Ill find a recipe round here for a no knead, ive got a dish i can try, so ill try it!

Tomer, the recipe i have for sourdough is like that, starter, preferment overnight then knead and all that. I dont always do it though. I did once!

anutcanfly

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2011, 11:57:27 PM »
Ok, you got me curious now.  I gotta try this no knead bread, though I will use a sourdough starter and whole wheat flour. 

I recently found that if I used a few teaspoons of kefir and a pinch of bread yeast, I could make a new starter that was really sour, very quickly (two weeks?).   That's real handy cause sometimes I don't feel like maintaining it.   

Tomer1

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2011, 12:47:31 AM »
A sour mother is nothing to worry about, I often neglect mine when I dont make bread for a week or four and it stinks of vinegar :)
You just proof the preferment well (really good rise and tiny bubbles which look like tiny insects)
and "heal" your mother culture with a good feeding throwing away some of that half dead sourdough.

A sour mother doesnt mean a sour bread, over fermenting your main dough or using an overly soured preferment does.   
Alot of commerical bakeries flavor their bread with soured preferments and quickly rise the bread with cultured yeast.   some have the nerve to call it "natural traditional sourdough bread" and ask an artisianal price for it.

I call that fraud.

If I get pysically well again someday id like to open up a bakery for a short while selling bread and sourdough croissant - these based on some cultured butter is my idea of heaven.  O0 

Crystal

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2011, 03:01:56 AM »
wow, you really love your bread Tomer! LOL, so do i, and i just finished a loaf of white sourdough-ish kinda bread! plus i made a batch of my weetbix bread rolls for lunch and with my home made butter they were a big hit! I didnt get pix of the rolls before the kids demolished them, but theres one of the loaf... Oh, and the christmas batch went down no trouble with the Turkey, Ham and all my home made cheeses, crackers, butter... it was nice to see so many people enjoying my food, im so passionate about making good food thats slow and made with care and thought, so it was really nice to see so many people appreciating it all.

Now, I guess Ill have to start a new starter tomorrow, im too tired today! And im off to find a no-knead recipe to share with anut!

Tomer1

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2011, 04:24:55 AM »
Oh I love turkey, I hope my meat guy will have some whole birds for sell this weekend for newyears.

Have you ever deep fried a turkey? I heard its crazy good and crazy dangerous lol

Crystal

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2011, 05:58:01 AM »
Ive deepfried half a duck... but never a turkey. do you do the whole thing at once? Man, you wouldnt fit a leg in my deepfryer!

anutcanfly

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2011, 05:41:07 PM »
"A sour mother doesnt mean a sour bread, over fermenting your main dough or using an overly soured preferment does."

I know Tomer1, found that out for myself years ago.  I mostly use the starter for whole wheat sourdough pancakes, which does utilize a sour mother (all but a 1/4 cup).  I get really soft, tender, flavorful pancakes!  Top with homemade freezer preserves and your in heaven!  ^-^

Hope you do get well enough to start a bakery!  Sourdough croissant sounds lovely!  I'll have to try that...I think I still have some cultured goat butter somewhere....

Tomer1

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2011, 06:35:05 PM »
To counter the sourness in pancakes you can nuetralize the acid with some baking powder (sodium bicarbonate),
Thats what the ethiopians do with injara (pancake like) bread made from teff flour which is left to ferment and REALY acidify for several days.  Its very tasty and spongy with lots of tiny eyes.

anutcanfly

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »
There's a learning curve to making injera!  The sourdough starter has to really be going strong to get those bubbles hopping!  As often and not, I end up having to add baking powder just to get enough bubbles going.  If you're working with brown teff  a 3 day ferment is a must to get a nice flavor.  Ivory teff is much more forgiving/tasty.   Worth the trouble, I love Ethiopian food!

??? Why would you want to neutralize the acid?  The sourness in the pancake goes beautifully with the sweet maple syrup or preserves.  :P  I do use baking soda in orange juice or tomatillo sauce.  It's kinda cool to sip before the CO2 is finished bubbling away.  :)

Crystal

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2011, 08:04:39 PM »
Alright, i still didnt find a no knead recipe, but i forgot to look! Lol, Cheese Yoda (irf) said u would provide one, but has yet to post it... lol

Im going to keep going with what i know of sourdough starters, make a fresh one, with no yeast. But i do need to make more cheese!

So much to do, so little time! I managed to give my baby twins a completly home made dinner lastnight! Home made bread, cheese, butter, home grown tomatoes and lettuce. Oh, and left over honey baked ham, but i did cook that! I was kinda proud...

Tomer1

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2011, 08:29:51 PM »

??? Why would you want to neutralize the acid?  The sourness in the pancake goes beautifully with the sweet maple syrup or preserves.  :P  I do use baking soda in orange juice or tomatillo sauce.  It's kinda cool to sip before the CO2 is finished bubbling away.  :)

Thats how the jewish ethiopians do it... I dont mind the tang.

Crystal

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2011, 08:55:24 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

No knead bread from the new york times... sounds like normal bread to me, but for lazy people...