Author Topic: My Sourdough, from scratch  (Read 32428 times)

anutcanfly

Re: My Sourdough, from scratch
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2012, 01:26:35 AM »
I of course am wishing for what I can't grow... mangos, avocados, limes, lemons, tangerines... how lucky you are to live where these things grow!  ;)  Sorry you have so little space to grow in.  I've noticed that pear does need some support.  The flavor is a bit mild.  A fun way to really add kick is to dip in lime juice prior to drying.  Green apple are awesome this way too.  What doesn't get better with a highlight of lime?

Crystal

« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2012, 09:19:15 PM »
absolutly, i love lime! Wish they werent so expensive, perhaps i should get a tree..? Oh, and most those fruits DONT grow here, i just plant them anyway LOL!! But i used to live where mangoes grow and hated it, im allergic, so while everyone else was sitting in the bath devouring mangoes i was just watching... but i got cherries instead ;) I do like to make fruit butters for piklets and scones or damper too.. got apple and strab in the fridge now, just making some butter at the moment then baking damper for morning tea for the kiddies...

Oh, i dont have a dehydrator, so i have to use the oven, which is not very economical, but mines got a fan only option so its not so bad. just takes a looooooooong time to dry stuff. As soon as my tomatoes ripen im drying a few for 'sun-dried' tomatoes. You have any insights on them anut?

anutcanfly

« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2012, 10:25:46 PM »
Sorry, but all my tomatoes end up sauced.  I did try drying some extra cherry tomatoes years ago, but did not like the result.  If you run into any good tips, pass them along!  Sun drying isn't a good idea if the days aren't hot (100 degrees).  You could end up with spoilage.  I was lucky enough to receive a good dehydrator for my birthday and it's been running every day since then!  Ferment it or dry it, nothing goes to waste around me!  :)

Crystal

« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2012, 08:18:40 PM »
my Birthday isnt for ages and i already got a cheese fridge and a stand mixer for christmas... lol We have had the crappest summer. Its cold! like im in my winter dressing gown... i think weve had 2 days hot enough to go swimming. So id never consider trying to sun dry. I'll stick with my oven, but i can see them taking a very long time to dry... Ive got two kinds in the garden, roma and grosse lisse. I'll try the romas first cos i think theyd have more flavour!

Oh, i tried my citrus spray the other day, oh, im in love! Even DS11 liked it so much he cleaned his own bathroom just so he could use the spray!

anutcanfly

« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2012, 09:00:12 PM »
Oh good!  Something to look forward to.  I normally hate cleaning day!  The weather here is pretty weird.  The only constant is that it is never the same as the year before!  :)

Crystal

« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2012, 10:50:02 AM »
Ours is weirder, never the same two days in a row! yesterday it was pouring, like flooding kind of rain. Today it was a gorgeous 26 and sunny! but its so wet out side we couldnt send the kids out.

Madea no knead yesterday. it was VERY moist. i think i may actually haveto cut back on the water i use, as its kind a gluey, cant make a sanga out of it. It does have a nice tang though, and makes wonderful toast, except the size i made doesnt fit in the toaster!

anutcanfly

« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2012, 05:07:33 PM »
Kids stuck in the house all day sounds like a recipe for bedlam!  I started 2 no kneads as well.  I'm going to do a two week ferment on one (sourdough rosemary), and a one week ferment on the other (honey 9 grain).  I am going to see if I can somehow sweeten the bread after the ferment of the 9 grain as my Sweety doesn't like sourdough, but is slightly intolerant to wheat.  I'm thinking if I could work in some baking soda and sweetener it might just work, and I should get extra rise from the baking soda.  I made the dough a little wetter to make it easier to mix additives in at the end.  Also, I won't add any wheat flour at the end.  I'll use oatmeal or teff...

You don't really need to follow a recipe to closely for bread.  Just a rough ratio of ingredients will do.  Flour or water are worked in until desired consistency is obtained.  I guess I do knead a tiny bit, but only long enough to mix in any adjustments or additives.

Crystal

« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2012, 08:24:23 PM »
Thats part of my problem, i read the original recipe, once, weeks ago. And now i just throw it all together! But this loaf was too moist. My stand mixer doesnt enjoy kneading, which sux cos thats why i bought it. but oh well.... ive been getting the kids to mix the no kneads. I still have to mix a bit, but it helps to have them do some of it, so my shoulder doesnt hurt so much. I think were making a proper foccacia today, my son LOVES it. well they all do really, its bread! And we pinched some fresh rosemary the other day, so it will be a rosemary one!

Oh, theres another bread we make that is brilliant for if your going out. we do a normal bread mix, roll it flat, spread lotsa cheese and ham then roll it up and bake! Toasted sanga for everyone! We also do little twists like that when were having company... mmmmmmm!

The whole loaf is great for us to take when were heading to the park or to watch kids sport. we just slice it up. Its so much nicer than a boring ham and cheese sandwich. Weve done cheese and bacon rolls a few times too. Also we do pizza scrolls a lot! It helps that i can make lunch all at once, instead of baking bread, then cutting it up and making sangas!

anutcanfly

« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2012, 10:27:50 PM »
Cool!  What a useful trick!  A sourdough cheese and salami roll...I'm never gonna lose at this rate!  ;D

iratherfly

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2012, 05:31:31 AM »
Anyone here had good experience trying to make sourdough starter with lactic cheesemaking cultures? I would love to give it a try.

anutcanfly

« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2012, 05:14:57 PM »
That's well worth trying!  I use kefir, with a pinch of yeast,  to start mine and I think is much better the the San Francisco starter I made last year.  Let me know how it works out.  :)

Crystal

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2012, 10:17:59 PM »
Im ignorant when it comes to Keffir, i honestly read the word a million times a day and STILL havent even looked into what it is!

Would be worth a try Yoda, but i nominate you to test that one!

Im on a mission to get a caerphilly into my cave today!!

MrsKK

« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2012, 10:38:50 PM »
Anyone here had good experience trying to make sourdough starter with lactic cheesemaking cultures? I would love to give it a try.

I have used clabbered raw milk to jumpstart sourdough bread and it turned out really good.  It was mild enough for my tastes, yet tangy enough for the hubby.  I would guess that lactic cultures would give similar results.  Or you could just try active culture store bought buttermilk.

linuxboy

« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2012, 10:43:27 PM »
What do you want to know, Yoav? I have crafted acidity and flavor/aroma profiles before of sourdoughs with primary and adjunct from lactobacilli and Leuconostocs.

Crystal

« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2012, 10:52:07 PM »
Damn LB... english please? ROTFL