Author Topic: Bitterness in Cheese  (Read 9153 times)

anutcanfly

Bitterness in Cheese
« on: December 18, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »
I have a cheddar and gouda in my cave that are bitter.  In one I used MA11, and too much rennet.  In the other I used MM100 and the correct amount of starter and rennet.  In the interest of preventing bitterness in the first place and resolving it when it does happen, I've been nosing around for information.  I came across the following which does provide some light on the situation.  I think I will be adding LH to all my cheeses!

"There are several reasons why bitterness may develop in cheese. With a few exceptions bitterness is generally associated with proteolysis.

Protein breakdown is critical to texture and flavour development in many cheeses. However, the process can generate hydrophobic peptides that if present at a sufficiently high concentrations can give rise to bitterness. Because these peptides are soluble in fat bitterness tends to be more of a problem in reduced fat varieties.

There has been considerable research into the causes of bitterness in Cheddar and Gouda cheeses and there is now a good understanding of 1) the mechanisms responsible for bitterness and 2) how to prevent or control bitterness.

The following is an attempt at summarising and simplifying how bitterness is produced. The coagulant, rennet, hydrolyses casein to produce polypeptides. These are then degraded to peptides and amino acids by peptidases associated with the membrane proteins of the starter cultures, lactococci, used in the cheese making process.

Bitterness will only develop if a number of conditions are met namely, the cheese must be of relatively low salt in moisture (S/M) content, bitterness is rare in Cheddar cheese of greater than 5% S/M; there must also be a high population of starter lactococci and these lactococci must have a particular type of peptidase that produces hydrophobic peptides. Additionally the presence of certain non-starter lactic acid bacteria, NSLAB, can prevent bitterness due to their ability to degrade the hydrophobic peptides produced by lactococci. These can be naturally present in some cheese plants. When you take these factors into consideration, along with the natural variations that can occur in fat content in cheese readers will start to gain an appreciation of what is involved in the development of bitterness in cheese.

Control of bitterness starts with adjusting the cheese manufacturing conditions to ensure that salt levels are correct for the variety being manufactured, ensuring that ‘non-bitter producing starters’ are used and adjusting manufacturing to control starter populations. Many cheese makers also use starter adjuncts. The most effective for debittering contain strains of Lactobacillus helveticus that produce peptidases active against the bitter peptides. Note only some strains of Lactobacillus helveticus have a proven antibittering effect.

Some culture suppliers will have tested their starters for bitter peptide production, there are several test methods available, and may have strains of Lactobacillus helveticus that have been proven to be effective in cheese trials. Incidentally there are a number of well characterised Lactococcus lactis subsp cremoris strains that rarely produce bitter cheese; these are available commercially. Your culture supplier should therefore be part of your problem solving team!

Though not well publicised, for commercial reasons, blends of thermophilic starters along with lactococci are being increasing used in both Cheddar and Gouda manufacture. There is some anecdotal information suggesting that use of these starter blends results in less bitterness problems."

linuxboy

Re: Bitterness in Cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 10:46:21 PM »
Yep, yep, almost always hydrophobic peptides that are the cause. LH100 is only moderately helpful, as helveticus peptidases are strain specific. You are better off using FLAV series if you use Danisco products. Danisco also makes HelvA for this purpose. Along with late blowing products, many many (I would say most good ones) commercial cheeses use this to help ensure consistency.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:03:29 AM by linuxboy »

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »
Thanks linuxboy.  I have not seen these cultures on any of the sites I purchase from.  Where are you getting them?

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 11:37:58 PM »
The major distributors in North America are Dairy Connection, Cheesemaking.com, Danlac, and Glengarry. Call and ask them to order if they do not list on their site.

anutcanfly

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 12:04:41 AM »
Thank you!  :)

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 05:57:08 PM »
Flav 54 is just one of many adjunct cultures. These are generally not available to hobbyists when ordering online and some suppliers don't even carry them. However, they will usually sell them to you if you know what to ask for.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 06:04:59 PM »
Mostly, larger cheese plants use them, as Sailor said, and they have them on recurring order based on production schedule. I haven't seen them often in typical farmstead ~100-gal vat plants, unless they are very knowledgeable through industry/academic knowledge or have taken advanced classes with guys like Marc or Neville or Peter who tend to advocate adjuncting or stabilization and other technical approaches. Often producers order directly with manufacturer because of volume. So you won't see these lines stocked or advertised, have to ask for what you want.

Also, it's not only NSLABs that are useful. Some cocci strains that are not good at acid production have great endopeptidase activity useful for earlier proteolytic action. Yet another reason why some raw milk cheeses taste wonderful due to ambient diverse flora. For example, Hanson's CR adjunct lines are helpful for this application.

anutcanfly

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 06:48:34 PM »
That's very good to know.  I'll see what I can drum up...I did find a site that lists a variety of adjuncts (ChoozitFlavorAdjuncts) so I will know what to ask for from a supplier.  I'm very glad to hear raw milk will help in this regard too, as all future cheese I make with be with raw milk.

Cloversmilker

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »
Thank you all for the informative discussion.  It helps explain some of the variability in my cheeses. 

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 10:38:07 PM »
Orchard Valley Dairy Supplies has FLAV series in UK http://www.orchard-dairy.co.uk/item/Culture-%27Adjunct%27-Flavour-and-Aroma-Strains/FLAV.htm
Delivery cost seem to be 51pound to US  ???
But they are very effective, I did my order and it came to me next day ! Finland..

Hande

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 11:24:28 PM »
No need to order from overseas, if all else fails (it won't), call up Danisco in their Wisconsin office and they'll help you figure it out.