Author Topic: First Farmhouse Cheddar- Few Questions  (Read 6360 times)

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
Re: First Farmhouse Cheddar- Few Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 05:07:13 AM »
Another option is using turmeric to colour your cheese as well.  I did it with a Goat Milk "Gouda" that I made it turned a nice colour too.

I tried to soak a tsp in distilled water, but in the end I just sprinkled some in the milk at the start of the make

Cloversmilker

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 05:24:52 AM »
Hi Crystal, 

If you don't want a white cheese, you will need to use something to add color.  A cheese with high butter fat content will tend to have a bit more of a yellow cast, but is still basically white. 

Here's a picture of my 'Christmas' cheeses.  They are all 1.5 to 2 pounds and made in July or August.  The types are Gouda, Edam, Fontina, and Montasio.  There is a Jack cheese in the center foreground that is probably the closest in type to your farmhouse cheddar.  Yes, they are being whacked up to send out to all the relatives.  The absolute best, hands down, is the Montasio.  I'll be making more of those!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 05:37:37 AM »
Ooooohh Yummy  :P  I would love to be on your Christmas list... >:D.   My cave will empty at Christmas as well for there is nothing better than giving of something hand made..  Merry Christmas.  My mother-in-law has had here Cheddar order in since september I hope she like it...

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Cloversmilker

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 05:46:05 AM »
It was great fun sampling these all at once.  Usually only one cheese is opened at a time.  FYI, there is one disaster hiding in the back row.  It's the mustard seed Jack, which tastes utterly dreadful.  Too much mustard seed I guess.

Crystal

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »
WOW, thats a heck of a lotta cheese! Even my son had a brain issue with the white cheese, lol, he tried it with his eyes closed and said it tastes better that way. But i might try the tumeric, it doesnt really add flavour does it? And, just how do the big cheese people make their cheese yellow? LOL, i know nothing, its embarrassing. Oh, and did anyone know what babybelle cheese is?

Crystal

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 10:23:18 AM »
Oh, Mal i had considered saffron, but damn, that costs more than the milk!! Doesnt Anatto make it more of an orange though?

Cloversmilker

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 02:30:38 PM »
The industry uses anatto. 

I know just what you mean about the kids and the color.  Mine grew up with the notion that the local (thus reasonably priced) yellow cheddar is the cheese standard.  The oldest is now off to grad school in another part of the country where yellow cheddar is rather expensive.  It's one of his top missed items.   ::)

Crystal

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 08:01:27 PM »
Right, so using a small amount of anatto wil make yellow cheese?

Lol, this is one of the weirdest conversations ive ever had... LOL! I'll see if i can find some!

So no takers for the babybelle? You know the little cheeses in the red wax that you buy in a little mesh bag..?

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 08:08:24 PM »
The Turmeric did not change the flavour of the cheese, but I only used a tsp amount.  I made my version of mini baby bells I just did a straight make, but I am thinking of making a washed curd version.

Here is an "Unwrapped" bit on baby bells
http://www.youtube.com/embed/u8DnMoFHrso

Cloversmilker

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 08:13:18 PM »
The babybelles remind me of a young and mild gouda, which is a washed curd cheese. 

Crystal

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »
I did think it was Gouda, but was just making sure some one else agreed with me. Funnily enough, the kids dont particularly like the flavour of the lttle things! They find it too strong, but i LOVE em!

Read your post Ian, great job and cute cheese! Whats a Dixie Cup though? Would a plastic take-away coffee cup be a good substitute?

And i will try to find a Gouda recipe and use that i think~

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 08:51:22 PM »
Hy Crystal

A Dixie Cup is just a small paper cup that some people use in the bathroom to allow kids two have a small drink of water or to rinse their mouths out.  I remember getting a Dixie cup at the dentist to rinse my mouth out after the cleanings.

http://www.dixie.com/prdct-cups-bath.html

Crystal

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 08:57:42 PM »
So its a paper cup... why do americans make up such weird names for stuff, why cant you just call it a paper cup..? ROTFL!

Ok, i have some cups in the bottomless pit of a garage, but im not sure if they're paper, plastic or styrofoam. I'll get down there and have a look!

dthelmers

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »
So its a paper cup... why do americans make up such weird names for stuff, why cant you just call it a paper cup..? ROTFL!

It's a tradition, especially pronounced in the 19th century: either calling something by the name of the inventor or producer, or just finding a round-about name to call something, i.e. "cackleberries" for eggs. We have Bowie knives, Ball jars, Kleenex, Scotch tape, cardigans, and anything high end used to be "Cadillac". This still persists quite strongly in trades, maybe just to confuse the apprentices. Why? Because it's an Americanism; part of the national character.

anutcanfly

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 11:10:17 PM »
I've only made farmhouse cheddar once and it had a nice sharp flavor to it in 3 months.  Can't say after that, it didn't last long!  Your off to a great start!  Bet you take detailed notes from now on!  ;)