Author Topic: First Farmhouse Cheddar- Few Questions  (Read 6366 times)

boothrf

Re: First Farmhouse Cheddar- Few Questions
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 11:26:28 PM »
Our traditions are pretty much the same Dave, guess our civilisations are similar in age. We call a lawnmower a Victa, a clothes line is a Hills Hoist (an Aussie invention actually), something up market is a "rolls royce" and we have Kleenex, cardigan and scotchtape too.

However we have a funny way of giving people nick names....guess it must be some of our Irish genes.  A tall person is called shorty, and red head is called bluey and so on.

Speaking of apprentices, we send them to the store to buy a box of short circuits, a left handed screw driver and a can of striped paint! ;)

Crystal

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2011, 02:10:14 AM »
lol, i know what you both mean... I dont use much Aussie slang, but i know a bit. I call my lawn mower, a Lawn mower... and my clothes line, would you believe is a clothes line, and I LIVE IN THE "HILLS' THAT ITS NAMED AFTER!!
But, im guilty of being mean to apprentices and waitresses.

I know a question that has some funny answers tho:
What do YOU call the strip of grass out the front of your house where the footpath is??

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2011, 09:44:23 PM »
I call the little green strip - the councils'.  Regarding the colouring... yes I kow saffron isa bit expensive but I couldn't wait for the annato.  Just a word on it's usage, it can , if over used, over acidify to milk so be careful when using..  Merry Christmas all. :)

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2011, 03:53:52 PM »
So its a paper cup... why do americans make up such weird names for stuff, why cant you just call it a paper cup..? ROTFL!

It's a tradition, especially pronounced in the 19th century: either calling something by the name of the inventor or producer, or just finding a round-about name to call something, i.e. "cackleberries" for eggs. We have Bowie knives, Ball jars, Kleenex, Scotch tape, cardigans, and anything high end used to be "Cadillac". This still persists quite strongly in trades, maybe just to confuse the apprentices. Why? Because it's an Americanism; part of the national character.
A lot of products' names are brand names. That is, they take their names from the product brand. Kleenex tissues come from Kleenex, a brand by Kimberly-Clark company. Dixie company makes paper cups and calls them "Dixie Cups". To Xerox something is to photocopy it, first accomplished with a machine from Xerox Corporation. Another company may introduce their brand of tissues on the market, but they may still be referred to as "Kleenex tissues" because of the first association with that name. A follow-on company's paper cups (or small plastic cups) may be referred to as "Dixie Cups".

Quite often, the company that introduces a product on the market first is the most visible, memorable, and longest-lasting product because the name is seared into customers' minds.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Crystal

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »
Hey boofer, my grandfather works for kimberly clarke! Lol, i know a girl who doesnt vaccuum her floor, she 'hoovers'... weirdo!

Mal, i dont measure the acidity so wont bother me much lol!!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2011, 04:52:04 PM »
a girl who doesnt vaccuum her floor, she 'hoovers'...
There you go!  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.