Author Topic: dry salting rates for blue cheese  (Read 2913 times)

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
dry salting rates for blue cheese
« on: December 21, 2011, 12:19:12 AM »
Hi.

If there is already a thread about this (and I am sure there must be somewhere) sorry but...

I have read dry salting rates and regimes for blue cheeses varying from 1.5% to 4% of total cheese weight.

Any guidance that could be provided would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul.'

linuxboy

Re: dry salting rates for blue cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 12:24:50 AM »
Correct, and some go even higher, to 5%. It's about what flavor you want and how much you want to control affinage. More salt, of course, means slower rate of blue development. You also have to watch the blue strain salt sensitivity. Some blues will die off at 2.2-2.5%, and some will make it to 6%.

Beyond that, it's about what taste you want and how salty. On average, blues wind up around 2.0-2.5%. 1.5% is ultra low, perhaps for a direct curd salted like a stilton.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 12:38:07 AM »
OK.

I use PRB-6 and I like quite a salty blue cheese - I think they do benefit from extra salt.

So maybe I will start at 4% and work backwards.

Should I put it all on in one go or over a few days?

Paul.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 01:14:03 AM »
How big? normal 8" tall, 8-10" wide blue mold?

Either way, really. What you can do is use a coarser salt and have a thick coating, and it will continue to salt over a few days. Usually, a few applications are easiest if you want a good salt gradient.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 01:37:58 AM »
Yes standard sized blue cheese hoop but my cheese is now only 7" high, after draining.

We can't get kosher salt in Australia so I use standard cooking salt.

If I have to leave them out for 4 or 5 days anyway I guess I can do two applications.

The reason I have swapped to dry salting is that I was getting some brown discolouration on the cut surface about 24hrs after cutting of the cheese which I thought must be some type of contamination.  Do you think this would be correct?

Thanks Pav.

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 01:53:07 AM »
Kosher size is too big, anyway. The thing about size is rate of dissolution. Two applications is about right, at 2% each or 3% and 1%. Will give you a decent salt level, especially in a cheese with decent fat content.

And yes, the salt gradient will help keep regulate surface growth. Honestly, in great cheeses like rogue, they salt the hell out of them. They rest on the shelves and you can see the salt crystals.

Browning of what kind? Like oxidation? Or actual growth of something?

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 04:40:31 AM »
No this looks like oxidation - more prominent under the rind but will cover the whole cut face within time. Its a definite brown colour.  Doesn't seem to affect the flavour so much.  I'll try and get some pics to you over the next few days.

Merry Christmas.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 06:10:56 AM »
Here is the pic.  Note the browning is concentrated around the rind and away from the actual blue mould.

Paul.

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »
Looks like a complex rind with associated proteolysis and drying from moisture loss. Upon cutting, oxygen helps accent the brown/cream color. Dry salt the rind, will take care of it.

max1

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 03:11:54 PM »
That Stilton is beautiful. 

How/how long do you drain the curds to get the right moisture content in order to preserve the mechanical openings?  How can you tell when it's right?

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 08:32:31 PM »
I include a 'cheddaring' step to drain the curds first, then break them up and put them into the hoop.  I can't tell you the length of time I drain for, I just know when the whey coming out has slowed to a slow trickle it is time!