Author Topic: My 2nd PC Semi-Lactic  (Read 3427 times)

anutcanfly

Re: My 2nd PC Semi-Lactic
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 10:22:17 PM »
Looks dreamy! If I could just smell it.  I'm sure it would transport me somewhere!  :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 12:25:44 AM »
Ok, so the idea of waiting an hour was a dream.  We've tried some on some french bread, and it's a hit.  It has a nice hint of mushroom riding on a bit of a sharp zing (a good one), the paste is very creamy in texture.  Vanessa has said it compares well with commercial camemberts, which is good to hear (ok, so it's not a camembert make, but that's pretty much the only white mould cheese we have easily available.  So far, the skin hasn't slipped, but we'll keep an eye on the layer just under neath.  That could liquify once it warms up.  I quite like this outcome, and it's a very easy make.  It might be interesting to try splitting it into two cheeses of 1/2 the height.  That would quite change the ripening profile and could produce a different outcome.

- Jeff

P.S.  It did liquify under the skin, but no where near the extent of the first make.  This style of cheese could be eaten at the point I wrapped it, in which case there would be no slip skin.  I've been ripening these an extra 2 weeks to develop more flavour.  Could be I need to drain the curds a bit more before shifting to the cave.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:43:29 PM by JeffHamm »

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 07:21:53 AM »
It seems to be a hit.  It's over half gone!  A couple friends popped in to say hi and they've given it a thumbs up, along with my washed rind butterkase, so I'm quite chuffed at the moment.

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 10:47:47 AM »
Getting away with a lactic cambazola could be awesome.  In case yoav pops in,  what would you recommend as far as optimal shape (hight\width\type of mould?)

JeffHamm

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 04:56:41 PM »
Hi Tomer1,

The final cheese is about 6 cm tall and 8 cm across, but that's after it's well settled.  The basket mould I use is about 9.5 cm across and 9 cm deep.  That holds the curds from a 2 l make, though you have to let them settle to get them all in.  I picked these up at the grocery store.  Their pickle baskets that sit inside a slightly larger container, which would hold the juice.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 06:38:20 PM »
Here's a picture of the mould I use.  The blue handle just pops out so it doesn't get in the way.

- Jeff

margaretsmall

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »
I put my first semi-lactic on just this morning, and here's the ideal mold which I just happen to have in my plastics drawer! Cool. Jeff, did you line it with muslin first?
Margarwt

JeffHamm

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 09:30:04 PM »
Hi Margaret,

No, I didn't line it with anything.  I just used a plastic serving spoon to ladel slices of the curds into the mould.  Good luck with your make.  Don't forget to post on how it goes!

- Jeff