Author Topic: Geotrichum candidum - Function In Different Cheese Types  (Read 2386 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Geotrichum candidum - Function In Different Cheese Types
« on: December 23, 2011, 03:39:11 PM »
I have been told that these two mold inducing agents work well together and should be used that way.  Does anyone have any information that can substatiate that claim or perhaps provide some info to the contrary.  I am using them in combination for my St.Marcellin as well as my Camembert and Reblochon.  Any suggestions?

linuxboy

Re: Geotrichum candidum - Function In Different Cheese Types
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 03:49:39 PM »
What type of info do you want to know? This is the way it's always been done. First naturally in many bloomy rinds through ambient flora, and now adapted to DVI cultures. But you don't have to, it works fine with only PC. It's not so much a matter of should but of what outcome do you want to achieve. It's not a law...

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 11:02:51 AM »
What would the texture difference be if PC is used by itself rather than GEO combo.  I am trying to get a thiner rind on my cheese, and feel that perhaps the combination is overly active.  I realize there are other factors which have an effect on rind evelopment, but I was questioning only the mold effect. Thanks

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 06:50:29 AM »
You don't need PC for Reblochon at all. It starts with geo growth, then washed with brine (which may have geo, yeast and b.linen in it), then you let go when the rind becomes orange and it covers with a secondary late bloom of geo which looks like a white powder. That's sometimes mistaken for PC but it's just geo, no PC.

In Camembert Geo is minor and PC is more important. The geo just creates the initial rind and deacidifies the surface for the PC to grow. It then needs to be controlled. It also has effects on the flavor and texture as well as rind appearance. Use less of it to get a less agressive and thinner growth.

In St. Marcellin the geo is very important and pc has a minor growth. It is a tiny thin cheese that ripens very quickly with geo and it needs to be gooey.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 12:13:25 PM »
Thank you very much, that was precisely the information I was looking for.