Author Topic: Yoghurt - Texture Grainy, Causes?  (Read 16224 times)

linuxboy

Re: Yoghurt - Texture Grainy, Causes?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 12:24:55 AM »
By good I only mean that over the long-term average qualities of the yogurt aren't trending in any direction.
If you control your temps and follow the exact same handling process for your culture rebatching/mothering, and use a multi-strain, multi-species mix, it is possible without too much hassle. Generally, only would recommend when using on a small scale, because it's tough to throw away a large vat when one could use modern practices and ensure a good result.

eric1

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 07:39:06 PM »
Thanks for that input.  The consideration of a multi-species culture seems particularly helpful.  I had thought perhaps the opposite might be true -- my thinking was that one species might outcompete another over time leading to changes in the product quality -- but I trust your advice more than my speculation.  Thanks!

linuxboy

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 07:58:17 PM »
one species might outcompete another over time leading to changes in the product quality
You are spot on when dealing with 1-2 species and 1-2 strains. I'm talking about having 5-6 species, and a half dozen or more strains of each. Like a classic whey starter. Something like that will be remarkably stable because the mix will experience synergistic multi-dominance, meaning no 1-2 strains will dominate, but they will all keep each other balanced.