Author Topic: Review: US New Hampshire Stonyfied Farm's Unflavoured Organic Light Yogurt  (Read 3436 times)

Cheese Head

Bought a 1 US quart (0.907 ml) container of New Hampshire USA based Stonyfield Farm's unflavoured organic light yogurt from local grocery store for USD3.70.

Primary reason for buying it was to use as a starter culture for making own yogurt.

As you can see in pictures below, like a highly viscous yogurt, nice but nothing special, would not buy again as extra dollar over other similar yogurts. Container says ingredients are:
  • Cultured Pasteurized Low Fat Milk
  • Pectin, as a viscosifier.
  • Vitamin D3.
  • Six live active cultures, but doesn't list what they are.

dthelmers

The six cultures are:
    Lactobacillus bulgaricus
    Streptococcus thermophilus
    Lactobacillus acidophilus
    Bifidus
    Lactobacillus casei
    Lactobacillus rhamnosus
So the basic yogurt setting bacterias are the L. bulgaricus and S. thermophilus. I had the idea that L. acidophilus is added as a probiotic, rather than for flavor and texture. When I was making a lot of yogurt I couldn't taste a difference when it had this or not, but I know many people who eat with regularity for regularity. Bifidus is another probiotic helpful for the digestive tract.
I've read that L. casei is the dominant NSLAB in Cheddar - wonder if it contributes to flavor?
L. rhamnosus is said to be another digestive system probiotic. I wonder if these probiotics are adding to the flavor profile?
Would they be helpful in cheese, or is the small amount that would grow in the cheese using yogurt as the starter make any difference?

anyaga

Dannon Plain always worked great for me.

dthelmers

Yes, that's straight L. bulgaricus and S. thermophilus. I've used it in place of Abiasa Thermo Type B or Choozit TM.

linuxboy

I had the idea that L. acidophilus is added as a probiotic, rather than for flavor and texture.
Both, but you're right.
I've read that L. casei is the dominant NSLAB in Cheddar - wonder if it contributes to flavor?
Not too much in yogurt.
L. rhamnosus is said to be another digestive system probiotic. I wonder if these probiotics are adding to the flavor profile?
They do not produce much acid. Their purpose really is as probiotics. the classic delbrueckii and strep salivarius are the primary flavor and texture cultures.
Would they be helpful in cheese, or is the small amount that would grow in the cheese using yogurt as the starter make any difference?
Yes, it would :). Depends on how much you add. And the cheese, aging approach, etc.

dthelmers

Thanks, Linuxboy. This sounds like a good chance to do another comparison. The Butterkase recipe from 200 Easy calls for thermophilic culture; I'll try one with Thermo B and another the next day with Yogurt; Chobani has the same array as this. I'll see if I can taste the difference; or would that only be likely to show in a more aged cheese?

linuxboy

Likely both, but more so in the aged.

Cheese Head

Dave & linuxboy, thanks for info . . . anyaga, I've used several store bought yoghurts as starters including Dannon Plain, so far this is by far my favourite.